Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright guys, im still trying to work out my pinging problem and poor fuel economy..
focus 1.8 petrol ghia 03 plate..

right.. here goes.. i have changed:

1) spark plugs
2) ht leads
3) coil pack
4) tps
5) maf
6) fuel filter

there are no codes stored.. not even any pending ones.

yet my engine still pings under load.. and to top it off.. i only get about 160 miles on a full tank of petrol!!

i took it in to my mechanic and they did their checks and told me theres nothing wrong with it and said the poor fuel economy was because of my driving habit.. i thought.. wot retards.. [rant]

anyways, they did a few tests.. basically everything i had done with the addition of checking for vacuum leaks (at idle vacuum was 20 mmHg)
and did a compression test.. they said each cylinder was at bout 203-205.. are those values alright?

i asked them to check the timing.. they said they looked on their computer and said it was fine.. but i was referring to the cam timing... i said is it not possible that my timing belt had slipped a tooth or two? hence cam timing was off and hence wasnt running properly.. they said no because if it was, it would call a code. is this true?

im quite fed up with this problem.. i cant even overtake properly.. flippin 0.9 litre cars are faster than mine!!

what do you guys think? ive written off my current mechanics because i think they havent helped me at all... instead they charged me £100 just to tell me that its all down to my driving.. retards..

thanks guys! [:)]

oh forgot to mention heres a vid of my pinging...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TPYxoFwG5io

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
sounds like loud injector tick?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naa its probably tappet noise... but thats not my main concern.. its only done 43000 miles so things shouldnt be worn/dead yet! lol!

·
Registered
534 Posts
If the PCM thought that the engine was cold, it could be running too rich. Does the thermostat appear to be working properly? The dealer's diagnostic machine should be able to check the temperature as perceived by the PCM. Also, the short and long term fuel trims should be verified as being within normal ranges.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I hear no ping at all. All I do hear is the normal injector tick and tappet noise, also basically normal.

I'll go with what the mechanic said and blame your driving habits, citing your comment about overtaking a car and that a .9 liter car is faster. I'd guess you drive with a heavy foot to begin with.

Try this to prove me wrong.
Fill the tires with 33 pounds of air pressure.
Drive the posted limit, or not more than 5 over.
Accelerate using no more than 1/2 throttle.

It does take a few tanks of fuel for the computer to readjust to the new habits so say run 3 tanks of fuel through it. Bet you anything driving my way will at least get you over 200.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have to agree, sounds pretty normal to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
issues that could cause pinging are:

overheating, carbon buildup in the pistons,cylinders, or intake, malfunctioning EGR system, an improper ignition timing.

but it looks like you have replaced some parts, an if a mechanic cant seem to find out what the hell is wrong, then like the guy above me said,must be normal then

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also don't hear pinging, but tappet noise. If you regularly run the car at high RPMs, that tappet noise will slowly get louder as your lifters wear.

---[Edit]-----
In fact, your lifters sound kind of worn to me, although I'm not a Focus owner. I have, however, had to replace lifters in my 240SX.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the PCM thought that the engine was cold, it could be running too rich. Does the thermostat appear to be working properly? The dealer's diagnostic machine should be able to check the temperature as perceived by the PCM. Also, the short and long term fuel trims should be verified as being within normal ranges.

yea thermostat is working fine... it goes into closed loop according to my scanner.. fuel trims are also normal. both stft and ltft are within +3 and -3.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
errm.. can i just say.. i dont floor it all the time.. i guess that vid isnt informative enough.. but the thing that confirms that it pings is when i drive it up a hill... 2nd gear... i HAVE to push the throttle close to WOT because it just wont have the power to go up easily.. it also pings like crazy when i floor it up the hill... that my friends is NOT normal... my mechanic failed to test it on a hill.. hence i was livid! and come on.. strictly speaking, even if u floor it all the time, i doubt u'd see a complete halving in fuel economy? i know somebody who has the same car as me.. he gets well over 300 miles on a full tank.. even when i try to drive economically and do what iminhell told me to do, the most i can get is 200 miles!! >< and i hope you were not implying that im a boy racer or anything like that iminhell.. mate.. just cos i said i cant overtake a car, it doesnt make me a crazy speed freak.. EVERYBODY needs to overtake a car.. like.. on the motorways?? i cant do that!! -_-

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as i said.. the only thing that hasnt been checked is the timing.. i still have a suspicion that the belt may be off a few degrees... would that cause my engine to ping? and the poor fuel consumption because it cant make the power needed efficiently hence making me push the pedal more?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If the timing belt where off a cog you would notice it even at idle, there would be an audible miss to it. It'd be a puh puh, smooth smooth, puh puh, smooth smooth

I hate to tell you to throw parts at it, but it could be a simple poor Oxygen Sensor. They won't always throw a code if they fail.

Another thing you could try is some Seafoam through a small vacuum line to clean any carbon out of the chambers. It could be that the carbon is insulating the chamber too much and the added heat is playing hell with the ignition timing, ping retard timing via knock sensor ... ?

Guess I should also ask because I don't see it, but is the engine stock?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Did this occur quite suddenly or was it progressive? It sure sounds like an initial pinging or knock as soon as you cracked the throttle........especially with essentially no load, it ain't normal. How many miles on the timing belt? I suspect that if the timing belt had "slipped a cog", that the engine would be running worse than it is, but I'm not sure about that, or if it would actually set fault codes. Why not just go ahead and check the basic camshaft timing and put that argument to bed? Removing the timing belt cover doesn't look too bad on the Zetec. A question for the Zetec experts........does the Zetec have a camshaft position sensor and does it have timing marks on the front pulley/damper?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used the seafoam before and it's a god sent. use about 1/3 can in a vaccuum line (slowly) and the rest dug in the gas tank. I'm sure there's a proper write up around here somewhere (otherwise ask).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yay grumpy! you picked it up!! i dont know how people say it sounded normal..
iminhell, yeaa well actually, it was after running fuel injector cleaner through it that the pinging started... i put some in the tank because it was running quite slowly.. not really giving much power.. after it, it cleared it up and it ran smoothly and powerfully for bout 2 days... then it started doing this pinging.. yeaaa grumpy ive been meaning to check the camshaft timing.. i think its the culprit. i dont really think im competent enough to do it myself.. i asked my mechanic to do it, but he was a prick and just kept the car for a day and said theres no need to check it. ><

the engine is stock yea, but i believe the 1.8 and 2.0 petrols dont have knock sensors. only the 1.6 and 1.4s do...

ill try and get a vid tomorrow with it pinging on a hill init.. also i want u guys to hear the exhaust tone at idle when warm.. its not smooth.. its like a constant puh puh puh sound as iminhell described.. just without the smooth bits lol!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh and i forgot to say that when it started pinging, i also got the poor throttle response. using my foot lightly on the pedal, the car seems to go quite happily, but when i just floor it, i feel it just doesnt respond as it should do.. theres no bucking or anything it just doesnt have the kick anymore..

ooh also, unfortunately we dont have such wonders as seafoam in england.. i wish we did.. it works much better than the stuff we have to make do with!!

thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh i forgot to say that the car only has 43000 miles on it.. (supposedly) i bought it second hand.. i hope it hasnt been clocked! lol

1 - 20 of 90 Posts