Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2000 Focus 2.0 Zetec with 148k miles on it. It started doing the real high idleing like I've read a lot of other drivers have experienced. So I did some research on here and most people stated to check for vacuum leak.......never found one, but did find a smashed vacuum line, replaced it and the car ran perfect for about a month....thought it was fixed.....then this week one day, driving to work it did the same thing, so I thought I'd fix it when I got home.....others said a TPS could be the problem....so I ordered one.....but when I went to leave work, the car wouldn't start.....so it sat a work for a few days till I could bring my trailer and get it home. So I did, pushed it in my driveway, for grins tried it, and it started.....but ran like crap......tried to take it for a spin when I took off, it died.....started right up, pulled it in the driveway......when I tried opening the throttle slowly, it did fine.....but if I opened it quickly, it would die.......now I'm beginning to believe its a fuel related problem, cause it also has a real "rich" smell to it when it did run.......so I started with the filter since its been a while.....the gas came out like coffee.......after replacing that, I can't get it to start anymore.....could the injectors be dirty, or bad? Is this a possible pump going bad? My neighbor, who works at a dealer, said the high idleing could be from a bad pump.....motor trying to compensate for poor vacuum??

Any ideas? My wife really wants me to fix this so she can drive it when it snows......that little car is PERFECT in the snow!!! Any suggestions?? I've cleaned the MAF and replaced the TPS and fuel filter......I thought about the IAC, but I figured it would start if that was bad, just not idle. I was thinking the injectors could be fouled up if the gas in the filter looked brown......I haven't pulled any plugs yet to see how they look, I did do a "tune up" last year, so it should be good. My neighbor said the "foul" smell could be a clogged converter, but it just passed emissions a few months ago.....I'd think if it was clogged or partially clogged, it wouldn't pass.

Thanks in advace for all your advice! I love this car, never had any issues until now....except for needing a new alternator last year.
Tim Hollerbach [?|]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I put it there.....I just figured Zetec stuff in the Zetec forum, there I go thinking again.......

Hopefully I get some answers there.....[dunno]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts