Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I think we all have the potential for that problem to an extent. They call it a splash guard and I guess that's true, BUT the design of it was actually to divert Air Flow underneath for better mileage. (My 1012 88k miles still 40 mpg highway, 34 around town).
They come with chintzy screws that have to be removed to change the oil and probably get damaged by careless young mechanics who are required to work as fast as possible.
I changed my oil myself a few times and replaced them the first time with self threading metal screws that can be tightened up enough to hold it securely and keep it from flapping when the cheap screws fail.
In my view if it fails you can simply take it out of there..... like that plastic air closer-offer thing that blocks air flow and keeps your Air Conditioning from getting good and cool.. Try it!

This is more of an exploratory post since I have to borrow a jack to crawl under and see what’s going on with mine. It’s a 2012 se sedan and the splash guard under the engine is hanging pretty bad. Digging up old threads reveals it’s basically for aerodynamics and occasional road debris building up. I live in Houston so it’s pretty dry and I don’t see much going up in there if I just remove it. What holds it in place that makes it hang off on just one corner? The thing looks like fabric so it can’t really be a skid plate but it’s hanging just a couple inches from the ground so I need to address it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,515 Posts
The C-Max cover isn't likely going to fit and it's not going to allow you to do an oil change without taking it off either. The Focus and C-Max have different bodies and things won't quite align the same. Just because they have a similar shape doesn't mean it will fit correctly. Forget this nonsense already...
It takes 2 minutes to take the screws out and drop the cover. Not a big deal. Every modern Ford has an under cover splash shield of some kind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The C-Max cover isn't likely going to fit and it's not going to allow you to do an oil change without taking it off either. The Focus and C-Max have different bodies and things won't quite align the same. Just because they have a similar shape doesn't mean it will fit correctly. Forget this nonsense already...
It takes 2 minutes to take the screws out and drop the cover. Not a big deal. Every modern Ford has an under cover splash shield of some kind.
the cmax and focus were built on the same assembly line, so its very likely that the share many parts, im assuming the under carriage would be the same bolt pattern for ease of install for the workers, im guessing the only reason for it being plastic was for either aero, it having something that needed to be protected under it, like possibly a hybrid component, or just simply because it was a more expensive vehicle. either way, for $32 why not try it, even if it doesn't fit it wouldn't be hard to drill holes to make it have the same bolt pattern as your focus. you could easily cut a hole for drain plug & filter access as well.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
the cmax and focus were built on the same assembly line, so its very likely that the share many parts, im assuming the under carriage would be the same bolt pattern for ease of install for the workers, im guessing the only reason for it being plastic was for either aero, it having something that needed to be protected under it, like possibly a hybrid component, or just simply because it was a more expensive vehicle. either way, for $32 why not try it, even if it doesn't fit it wouldn't be hard to drill holes to make it have the same bolt pattern as your focus. you could easily cut a hole for drain plug & filter access as well.
Right, but they were still different vehicles and Ford made 2 different part #s for the cover for each that are NOT identical. Look up the Focus cover and then look up the C-Max cover. They look very similar but are still not quite the same. It only takes a minor difference or two to make them incompatible and even if it would mount up nothing would be effectively gained.
When you take the oil filter off the oil splatters. Even if you modified the cover and put a hole in it to get your hand up there to take the filter off the splattered oil would puddle on the uncut section of the cover. It's a waste of time, would make a mess, and it's not effective. Ford didn't cut a hole in it for a reason. Every other Ford vehicle has a cover that you remove or unbolt/swing down. It's best to just accept the reality of a newer vehicle and just deal with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cars today are built on shared platforms. The Focus, Escape and Cmax share platforms and many parts are interchangeable. Just like My Forester, I can swap almost anything from a matching Impreza, WRX/STI, interior motor and suspension wise.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Cars today are built on shared platforms. The Focus, Escape and Cmax share platforms and many parts are interchangeable. Just like My Forester, I can swap almost anything from a matching Impreza, WRX/STI, interior motor and suspension wise.

This is not news to me and has been done since at least the 1960s or earlier.
Even if the screw holes lined up and nothing else interfered the fact remains there is NO cutout for the oil filter on the C-Max cover. Nothing is gained by trying to use the C-Max cover but a couple extra pounds in weight. Ford made two separate part #s for a reason.
My original fiberboard cover is just fine on my 2013 with 116k miles on it. As long as it isn't molested or damaged by running something over it's just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK I decided to change my 10k mile pure synthetic oil at 8500. NO splash guard / air deflector shield down there now. So I must have taken it out last time. In my view it may also have been a slick way to get people to take their vehicle in for oil change instead of doing it themselves.
It must have been the one in my wife's Cadillac I had to modify with metal screws.

Oil change is a 10 minute job with that useless part gone. One 15mm socket.

??I wonder how many of you'all took out that other useless part... the black plastic heat controlled 'louvers' in front of your AC condenser radiator?? TRY IT your AC will work twice as good. Really! Does anybody know what was supposed to do? Must be something for cold weather.
Not needed in Arizona where incidentally the AZ Cardinals are currently NINE wins TWO losses :)
...with their second string quarterback :)

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
185 Posts
OK I decided to change my 10k mile pure synthetic oil at 8500. NO splash guard / air deflector shield down there now. So I must have taken it out last time. In my view it may also have been a slick way to get people to take their vehicle in for oil change instead of doing it themselves.
It must have been the one in my wife's Cadillac I had to modify with metal screws.

??I wonder how many of you'all took out that other useless part... the black plastic heat controlled 'louvers' in front of your AC condenser radiator?? TRY IT your AC will work twice as good. Really! Does anybody know what was supposed to do? Must be something for cold weather.
Not needed in Arizona where incidentally the AZ Cardinals are currently NINE wins TWO losses :)

View attachment 312329
View attachment 312330
View attachment 312331
The active shutters have 2 purposes, one as you mentioned I they help the car warm up in cold weather, the other is minor aerodynamics for add fuel milage. Granted it doesn't make a huge difference on either but it does help a little.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Not needed in Arizona
An under engine cover isn't going to confuse anyone with even minimum critical thinking skills and won't dissuade anyone but perhaps the most lazy or unintelligent from doing an oil change. Also, dealers don't make any $ off of just changing oil. They break even unless you get full synthetic and even then it's barely considered profitable.
There's an entire Ford video explaining in detail what these covers and grille shutters do. Ford or any manufacturer for that matter doesn't just engineer parts for no reason that cost 10s of thousands, 100s of thousands, or millions of $ to develop and then produce.
Aerodynamics and efficiency are the main purpose of the grille shutters and the rest of the Ford fleet come with them too. In fact, Ford is hardly the only car company to use them. Every truck and car has to meet fuel economy standards and new technology helps to enable that.
If you want to pay more in gas for running your vehicle without them then rock on. As for the cover specifically, some vehicles will get hood fluttering because of the increased wind being pushed up underneath. I know Mustangs in particular have this issue. Without a cover under there any dust, dirt, and road debris have a clear path to get to everything under the hood. It's worth having even for just one instance of running over a fresh animal carcass.
If a car was engineered to have it and you take it away then there are consequences. My engine compartment is spotless and almost completely dust/dirt free because of that cover.

·
Registered
780 Posts

Not needed in Arizona where incidentally the AZ Cardinals are currently NINE wins TWO losses:)

View attachment 312329
View attachment 312330
View attachment 312331
If you take out the active grill shutters your fans will run constantly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, I think we all have the potential for that problem to an extent. They call it a splash guard and I guess that's true, BUT the design of it was actually to divert Air Flow underneath for better mileage. (My 1012 88k miles still 40 mpg highway, 34 around town).
They come with chintzy screws that have to be removed to change the oil and probably get damaged by careless young mechanics who are required to work as fast as possible.
I changed my oil myself a few times and replaced them the first time with self threading metal screws that can be tightened up enough to hold it securely and keep it from flapping when the cheap screws fail.
In my view if it fails you can simply take it out of there..... like that plastic air closer-offer thing that blocks air flow and keeps your Air Conditioning from getting good and cool.. Try it!
I love your technical terms lol. Where is this air closer-offer thing? I’d like to think there was a design reason for it and now I’m very curious!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I love your technical terms lol. Where is this air closer-offer thing? I’d like to think there was a design reason for it and now I’m very curious!
If you read the posts on your thread then you'd see that both Ductape91 and I already said what they're called so maybe instead of referring to it with some childlike name for it like 2012 Focus Lemon boy did it's called an Active Grille Shutter System. As I already said most other manufacturers now put them on their vehicles as well to improve aerodynamics, stability, and thusly fuel economy. Depending on speed, temperature, and other conditions like the a/c being on or not they will be open or closed in many varying positions.
As for the dubious claim of the a/c working better I've never heard of any such thing on here or any other forum for that matter and there's little air resistance they would have to airflow anyway when open and working properly. Also, as Ductape 91 already said if disconnected the fans will always be on so that's a good way to end the life of your fan motor or fan module prematurely or overheat the wiring or resistor to them.
If you want a thorough explanation then watch this 2 minute Ford Focus video released in 2011: Ford Focus on aerodynamics - Active Grille Shutter - YouTube It's been cut down to the first 2 minutes which happens to go over everything discussed in this thread. It'll clear up some of the bs being put out there.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts