Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of an exploratory post since I have to borrow a jack to crawl under and see what’s going on with mine. It’s a 2012 se sedan and the splash guard under the engine is hanging pretty bad. Digging up old threads reveals it’s basically for aerodynamics and occasional road debris building up. I live in Houston so it’s pretty dry and I don’t see much going up in there if I just remove it. What holds it in place that makes it hang off on just one corner? The thing looks like fabric so it can’t really be a skid plate but it’s hanging just a couple inches from the ground so I need to address it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is more of an exploratory post since I have to borrow a jack to crawl under and see what’s going on with mine. It’s a 2012 se sedan and the splash guard under the engine is hanging pretty bad. Digging up old threads reveals it’s basically for aerodynamics and occasional road debris building up. I live in Houston so it’s pretty dry and I don’t see much going up in there if I just remove it. What holds it in place that makes it hang off on just one corner? The thing looks like fabric so it can’t really be a skid plate but it’s hanging just a couple inches from the ground so I need to address it. Any thoughts?
It's held on by torx screws. It is felt covered cardboard basically which is why they wear so bad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,482 Posts
I live in Houston as well. I would want that shield. Roads are very gritty. We do get plenty of rain.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drove with mine on for years, and more recently took it off. I have not measured fuel economy exactly, but I didn't notice any significant change for the negative.

What I did notice was a tremendous amount of rust on the subframe, especially at the front bolt of the lower control arms. The subframe is now coated in marine grease to help slow the spread of rust, as I don't really want to replace the subframe in the next 50k. It was getting pretty scaly, too, not mild rust, with the welds in particular rusting badly.

Where I am, the dealerships all strip out the plastic inserts for those belly pans, or ignore putting in all but one or two screws, making them sag and flap. Lazy mechanics. At this point, just leave the things off, or make a new one with proper drainage, out of something like polyethylene, where it will hold up in the weather.

·
Registered
185 Posts
While that would be nice, I don't see how the Cmax version has accessibility for the filter or drain plug over the factory Focus version.
I'm going off what I've read, from my understanding there are access holes in the cover for the filter and plug where the Focus has none. My Forester is like that for the plug (the filter is in the beat place I've ever seen, under the hood right up front on top)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm going off what I've read, from my understanding there are access holes in the cover for the filter and plug where the Focus has none. My Forester is like that for the plug (the filter is in the beat place I've ever seen, under the hood right up front on top)

If someone can confirm the openings align, that alone, to me, is worth changing out the cover on my car.

From looking at the posted links above the openings do not appear to align with either the filter or the drain plug.

And to follow up on the inserts and screws if needed, Amazon has a 20 piece kit, 10 each of the inserts and screws for only $10.29.
https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Shield-Fasteners-Engine-Undertray/dp/B01MSMU63S

1 - 20 of 35 Posts