Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
forgot nissan....the 2.5 sludges up...

but yea...i see this ALL the time. especially on used cars when i'm doing inspections. though the sludging occurs on all toyota engines...those are just the most popular. and MANY people do not maintain there vehicle....15-20k between oil changes is not up to par.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, vanace that was my gut reaction too. Bet ya anything this doesn't get as much coverage as when say, Ford has a TSB or something.

I'm sure a lot of the issues are from people that don't change their oil when they should and stuff like that, but it would really suck if you were a conscientous owner and did stuff right and still your engine gunked up... then you had to go through all the hierarchy to get the company to fix/replace the mess.

Actually, I noticed the Intrepid on the list, my cousin had a 2 year old one a couple years ago, and it sure sounds like it had this problem. I don't know what the previous owner did, but she always had it in for service at its intervals, and didn't drive hard or anything.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
This is my favorite Toyota issue to bring up when Toyota owners start talking down on Ford... it's a nice little humbling reminder that even the "great giant" that is Toyota has problems too.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'll bet the people that ignored the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals and changed it every 3,000 miles don't have any sludge problems. Those who used synthetics also probably have fewer problems.

Think about it the next time some tells you, "you change your oil too often, of course the manufacturer's engineers know best when to change the oil. Why do you think you know better than the people who manufactured the engine? Just follow their recommendations... if you change it sooner than the owner's manual says you're just wasting money."

Yeah. Right.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
vanace said:
It can't be true. Damn consumer reports! Every one knows that toyota is faultless and perfect! It is a japanese company after all!!

I agree completely!! ^^ ( tongue firmly in cheek)[:D] [;)]

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wonder... how many of those people with sludge issues, that maintain their car "according to the manufacturer recommendations" are using the normal maintenance schedule when in fact they should be using the severe duty schedule?

Unless you run your car on the highway the majority of the time with no long periods of idling or stop & go driving, you should be using the severe duty schedule IMO. Sure it'll cost more to run the car, but the car will run better and be less prone to these types of problems.

Note that bad engineering can kill even the best maintained car over time, so for example, if the manufacturer builds engines with clearances so tight and then doesn't spec out the lubricants properly, the motor will die, it won't be a question of if, but of when.

NefCanuck

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My brother works for Chrylser and he has told me how he loves the 2.7, but it runs hot and that is where the sludging comes from, especially on long intervals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts