Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my girlfriends car and yesterday i was driving and while pressing in the gas past a certain point the engine rumbles and doesn't accelerate. i have to let off the gas a little to get it to stop and than just baby it. I put mid grade gas instead of cheap gas to see if it was the problem drove around for 20 min and no improvement. My next move was to change the fuel filter since it probably hasn't been changed since it left the manufacturer. The problem is i dont know where the fuel filter is. Can someone post a picture or diagram of where it is and what it looks like. Or can someone diagnose this problem and tell me if its something else, thanks.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

If the car is an automatic, check the tranny fluid level.

The fuel filter is up behind the passenger side rear tire. It is held on by a small bracket, undo that and you will have more room to work with, pull the fuel pump fuse and run the car out of fuel first, then there will only be a small amount of fuel in the lines, still watch your EYES!. The new filter has a direction arrow on it as well... Any questions just ask.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,103 Posts
P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause. Ignition system
Fuel injectors
Running out of fuel
EVAP canister purge valve
Fuel pressure
Evaporative emission system
Base engine
The MIL will blink once per second when a misfire is detected severe enough to cause catalyst damage. If the MIL is on steady state, due to a misfire, this will indicate the threshold for emissions was exceeded and cause the vehicle to fail an inspection and maintenance tailpipe test.

P0316 Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok found that #2 sparkplug wire wasn't all the way in on the dist cap and pushed it in and it clicked so the CEL went away but went for a test drive and it still did the rumbling when pressing the gas pedal but not as bad. One thing i forgot to mention also is that when it did the rumbling a lot there seemed to be a burning rubber type smell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts