Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was turning into a payrking lot and the engine shut off..put it into park and car started up fine..got some groceries...came back and car started fine and got me back home fine..let the car idle in the garage for 20 to see if it would shutoff again..the car idled fine no issues..naturally I'm worried about having the car turning off on the freeway.

Recent repairs-cel was on. Replaced cylinoid on intake controll runner also a vacum hose leak was fixed.oil changed. all done about two weeks ago. Car has 141,511 miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Check the vacuum lines. The ex beast that took my 2006 Fusion with 2.3L is having the same problem. Do you have this problem in reverse yet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its has not happend in reverse. Drive and happend in idle for the first time a week ago. I didn't think nothing of it the first time it happend just thought it was a fluke..its 99 degrees here I was thinking vapor lock but that has never been an issue in the past.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
noticed the serpintine belt seems spining at low rpm's...it might be my imagination.
Just got back from auto zone starter/battery/alternator tested fine...car shutoff again when I pulled in and put the car in park-engine shuts off-...started up with a few chuckles from the engine,moved to a diferent parking space this time I shut the engine off, turn the ignition to see what kind of power i gor and the whole car is dead notthing! Walk into autozone get the girl to test the battery alternator, then she asks me to start the car boom starts up fine....

One other that has been happening is my cigarette lighter has been popping its fuse...

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
also check for corrosion on your battery terminals/wires

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Get new friends. Your car doesn't have a conventional distributor or a distributor cap.

As misfire alluded to, remove the battery terminals from the battery posts and clean any and all corrosion from the terminals with a wire brush. Replace the terminals and ensure they are secure and tight. Make sure any electrical leads coming from the battery are not brittle or broken. Make sure the grounds are clean.

If you have no response at all - absolutely none - when you attempt to start, the car is not getting any electrical power and the only source of that power on a car that is off is the battery. So it's either the battery itself or the connection between the battery and the rest of the car's electrical system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would the battery cause the car to just turn off while in drive and park?
Could the recent repairs be the culprit of the new issues?

·
Registered
25 Posts
what happens when it shuts off? Does it shut off with no warning what so ever? Ive had a couple random shut offs happen in different cars. Mine would shut off aswell but would sputter and slowly die, tapping the gas wouldnt do anything. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. My parents cavalier would just shut off randomly, like someone jumped inside the car and just shut it off. Sometimes it would restart sometimes it wouldn't. That turned out to be a bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replys. When the car the shutoff there was no
warning..normal turn as well and the radio was still on. It's shutoff in drive once and in idle twice.

If were to walk out to the garage it will fire right up...I've repeated and re created the same scenarios and could not get the problem to re occur. It's a really intermittent problem.

I called the shop that fixed my check engine light..and told them the situation..shop said they would diagnose it at no charge....if it turns out that their at fault they would go ahead and fix it. so well see what happens.
The car will be taken in tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's happend while idleling in park as well.shutsoff no warning no puttering.
How much am I looking at for a fuel pump replacement?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You mentioned that your cigarette lighter keeps popping fuses. Have you addressed this? An electrical short could potentially mimic the symptoms of a bad alternator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No have not. I don't smoke so I just pulled out the fuse. I did noticed that it would pop when say plugged in my cell charger before I started the car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a call back from the mechanic.same mechanics that fixed my cel light. They attached the computer drove it around town and on the freeway and no codes came up,the car drove fine and they could not recommed any repairs. If the car would have stuterd or puterd the comp would have gone hairwire and would have recorded it

Now I'm truly stumped.

Oh ya and its to intermittent to diagnose and drive the car till a soft code comes up.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
could still be the pump.
hard to diag with it not happening frequently enough

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
idk. does your mechanic have a fuel pressure guage? did they check fuel pressures

1 - 20 of 27 Posts