Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened in a drive-thru in jack in the box and then again in the parking lot...

This week I changed the valve cover gasket. It stopped leaking oil. I drained and refilled the transmission fluid, replaced the sensor and gasket, I drove and it was still driving rough. So i had Jiffy lube give me a diagnostic check, and also flush my power steering fluid. Now it's driving a lot smoother, but the car just died in the middle of driving through a parking lot I had to restart it, so that's why I think it must be something electrical and I'd like to know where I should go from here :) thanks for help in my other topics too thanks yall

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To describe when it shuts off a little bit better... I would be turning or accelerating from a red light, and then it would just kind of kill the engine and power steering, but the lights and would stay on and I can just barely get out of traffic. Transmission failure? electrical issue? What i'd really like to know is if it's safe to take this thing on the highway, I think I could deal with it

·
Registered
521 Posts
My mom had a Ford Windstar that would shut off when turning sharply. It was a bad power steering pump stalling the engine as the car idled through a turn. My Focus did this about a month ago with my wife driving. She was idling down a ramp and the car shut off. You could have a small vacuum leak, a dirty air filter, clogged fuel filter... or other "tune-up" type problems.

Toby

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yep.^ Can be a pinhole in a vacuum hose, or fuel pump or fuel filter failing, could be just one of the positive power wires from the batt or the tiny ground wire from the negative side, idle air control valve (iac) could be gacked up, you may be using a gas higher than 87 octane, your air filter is too clogged, I know there's more you can check.

Wiggle your batt cables gently while the car is running and see if you can make it shut off.

CAREFULLY and with some sort of gloves on, hold your hand around each of the vacuum hoses, move from one end of them to the other with your whole hand around one in each spot, and listen for the car to idle up or down more, or smooth out while it's running. A cleaner way is to just buy a can of propane and leak it out all around each hose and listen for the same thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. How could I check for a vacuum leak? Wouldn't the check engine light tell me if there was one? I got a diagnostic ran last night and the codes that came up were for the EGR valve, a code for a misfire detected, and a code for something related to the spark plug which I addressed already.

So now im gonna take it back for a diagnostic again see if any new codes come up

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yikes a misfire? That would definitely be something to look into. Have the spark plugs or wires every been replaced?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts