Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Engine running too fast

3002 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  magic2119
Engine runs excesivly fast,it can rev up to 3500revs by its self,had it in garage couldn't find the fault as it happens intermitently.From cold engine runs at 1800 revs after a short while it will go down to about 1200 revs,when the clutch is dipped the engine revs excesivly until the gear is engaged.The rev counter stays high until clutch is let out it does not drop off until the clutch is let out between gear changes.

Any help apprciated.

Gav B
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
already replaced that then found one of the emission pipes was leaking, so replaced that also the car now runs at about 1000rpm at idle, would having garage look at timing be an advantage, although nobody has interfered with the timing in any way.

· Registered
27,563 Posts
No, the timing should be fine if undisturbed. Now that you have found the issue, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. Restart the car and let it idle for about 5 minutes without touching the throttle and see if the computer "relearns" the "new " air mixture.

· Registered
594 Posts
Ahh yes, the ol' EGR tube leaking. Mine too, i can see black soot coming out of where the tube meets the flange. How much did the pipe cost, where did you buy it? I'm going to try and weld mine up first, before buying one.

Like stated in the prvious post. ANYtime you add or remove a performance modification and/or repair an air leak, take the battery off for 10-15 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.