Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a problem with the engine running too fast,had it in garage and couldn't find the fault.The engine revs up excessivly fast and car increases speed even when foot is not on acelorater.From cold car revs at 1800rpm after a short time the car stays at about 14oorevs constantly.This problem happens intermitently.Any suggestions most wellcome.

Gavin B[?|]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Gavin

What you have here is a known problem on these engines. From what you have explained, it sounds like the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is starting to play up.
The other suggestion i have is that the throttle body is becoming very dirty and that the flap isn't closing correctly.

I hope that this will help you [:D] [:D]

·
Registered
4 Posts
when starting from cold focus's are designed to run at higher revs so that the engine warms up quicker and then after a while it should drop down again. as for reving without touching pedal sounds like summit simple like the clutch but garage should have spotted this.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ford don't have so much good electronic. The thing is like wigstar85 said -when starting from cold focus's are designed to run at higher revs so that the engine warms up quicker and then after a while it should drop down again.-
Just start the car and don't touch anything for about 1-2 minutes.
Also, did you notice that when it's winter the car sounds different and the fuel consumption is higher

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
There are a few things that may be to blame.......the throttle plate may be hanging up, either by crap build-up or a sticking cable.

The idle speed is controlled by by the computer......it uses several inputs to determine how fast to run. When the engine or the air temperature is colder, it will speed up. It uses the air idle controller to do so (AIV valve)...the throttle position sensor (TPS) also is used.

There could be other problems....a very small vacuum leak may be to blame. This is un-metered air entering the intake system.

Lots of stuff to check. I'd start by checking for vacuum leaks, and cleaning the throttle plate with a tooth brush and carb cleaner.

Good luck...

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have cruise control make sure that the cable for that is snug. Mine comes loose once in a while and it will shoot up to 4,000RPM while I'm driving lol. [bash]

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
clean your MAF (mass air flow sensor), maybe clean TB. TPS might be shot (throttle position sensor), but my bet is on the IAC (idle air control valve). sometime they can be brought back to life with a good cleaning (its attached to the intake manifold on the underside)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Different year, same problem. Happens all the time.....[hihi]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts