Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

When I start my car (2002 Focus ZX5 Zetec) in the morning about 60% of the time it runs really rough for a few minutes. The other 40% it runs rough for maybe a split second then smoothes out. Since its been getting colder it has been running rough for longer... Once it smoothes out it runs fine and has never acted up while driving.

When it is running rough there is always a loud hissing noise from this:

There are 2 vac lines coming from the bottom of it, and both seem to be in good shape. It is a loud hissing, you can hear it from inside the car. Can someone tell me what this is, and could it be part of the problem?

Thanks for looking,

Livens

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
sorry man...never run into this problem before...i occasionally have a hissing sound when i start my car up on coooooooold days but it't just the CAI...so i don't know what to tell you man

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
usually a hissing is a vac leak.. you may have a damaged pipe somewhere

P.S. I have a pair of 01's and both mine are different ?!?!? you must have an updated/revised style
Wagon 1

Wagon 2

·
Registered
74 Posts
My car sounds really rough at idle. I figured it was just normal for an overhead came I4. I don't think much of it because it sounds good at non idle revs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking vac leak too... BUT, the hissing is coming directly from that black module thingy. The hissing stops and it runs perfect. Any idea as to what that thing is or what is does?

My car sounds really rough at idle. I figured it was just normal for an overhead came I4. I don't think much of it because it sounds good at non idle revs.
When I say rough, I mean almost stalling. And if I try to drive it while its doing this it has little power and bucks a little. Definitely feels like a vac leak, and you can tell from the smell of the exhaust that the air/fuel ratio is getting messed up.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
well all I can say is go to a scrap yard and see if you can find that module.. it just may be its cracked or something let go...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
My '06 looks totally different. If you spray carb cleaner on the thing while it's running, the idle will speed up if it's cracked externally. A hissing sound is almost always a vacuum leak....

·
Registered
101 Posts
that would be the dumbest invention ever...its called a dpfe sensor and let me tell u troubleshooting it is a pita...good luck..all i can tell u if it sounds like its coming from that it more than likely is...also make sure the line coming out of the sensor going into the egr tubes are not cracked or off...

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
it is a vacuum leak coming from somewhere. this is what you need to do. if you have alternate transportation go ahead and take that part off and inspect it very thoroughly. look for even tiny cracks. also pay attention when you take it off so that: 1. you put it back on there right and 2. check how easily the hoses come off the peice because it may be leaking from the link from the hose to the module. you said it doesnt do it as bad when its cold. think physics for a minute. when stuff gets hot it expands when it gets cold it shrinks. you probably have a small crack or maby even just a leak in the link of the hose and module. when its cold outside that crack is big enough to let lots of air through it but when the car heats up the peices expand and the crack partially or completely closes. so anyway if the part is cracked anywhere go to a junkyard or to your nearest ford dealership because i doubt that napa or advanced autoparts carrys that. get a new one and replace it. it it is a loose fitting hose try putting a few layers of plastic seran wrap like you use in the kitchen on it and cover it with tape to see if it fixes it. if it fixes it then do whatever you want to seal it up.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
there is another vacuum thingie on the far left of your engine bay right of the strut tower and above the power steering reservoir. i had that solid plastic hose broken off right at the nipple of the module for almost a month before i figured out where it was coming from. its the complete opposite side of the motor but you might as well check that too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that would be the dumbest invention ever...its called a dpfe sensor and let me tell u troubleshooting it is a pita...good luck..all i can tell u if it sounds like its coming from that it more than likely is...also make sure the line coming out of the sensor going into the egr tubes are not cracked or off...
Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPFE Sensor! I googled that and found this article:

http://www.focushacks.com/printable.php?modid=80

Thats my problem. And a pricey problem too, $70 for one that looks like mine from Autozone. They have 3 different styles, the cheapest being $33... If the elec. connector fits I may try one of those.

Thaks for everyones help in figuring this out :)

Now go eat some TURKEY!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts