Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car was running real rough. it would shake really bad, skip, no power hardly, and when i stoped there was a bad smell like a firecraker just went off. I thought it could be a bad plug so i checked them. turns out it was a bad plug. i changed it and it fixed it for the most part, but it still does it every once in a while like as if a relasp.

what could it be. i was thinking that the computer just need to adjust. but i have no clue i just drove it around the block after i changed the plug.

Help please.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Have you checked the plug wires?

How bad is it skipping? I had an issue where my 02 SVT was eating coil packs. It would skip badly unless you punched it wide open where it would run perfectly strong. I believe that was because the coil pack as going out and under WOT the ECU would send a max spark and make the flaky coil pack work for a bit. After getting a new pack everything has been peachy! :)

Wish you were closer because I'd let you borrow my spare to cross-refference. Being 1200 miles (?) sort of stops that though...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it skips really bad like it feels like im drinving off road over lots of rocks

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I agree with the wires/coilpack. If it's that bad, I would hope the ECU is throwing a code. Do you have a voltmeter? You could check the wires' resistance if you do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Take a look at your intake/MAF area. if there is a disconnection in between your maf and TB it will throw of your A/F ratio. which would make your car run rich, which could fowl out your spark plugs.

Hope this helps, let me know.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^A disconnected MAF would probably foul out all of the plugs, but it is still worth checking. The engine is hunting in the dark without that connected.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
While reading the OP, I was thinking about the coil pack or wires but I see it was already mentioned. It'd be nice if it was something as simple as just resetting the ECU but that probably wouldn't fix it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first thing i did was check to see if the MAF was connected and it was. It did turn the check engine light on. After taking it to the shop they confirmed that it was the plugs, I just hope they know what they were talking about so i dont buy them for no reason.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have a feeling the plugs will be a temporary solution. It would be strange (not impossible, but strange) for that to be the root of the evil. I'm thinking something caused the plugs to go bad.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok it turns out i just changed the plugs only and it fixed it. I think those plugs have been in there a long time b/c the car has a little over 100K on it and they were autolite plugs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok it turns out i just changed the plugs only and it fixed it. I think those plugs have been in there a long time b/c the car has a little over 100K on it and they were autolite plugs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sry double post

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sry double post

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it did fix it to the way it did but thatnks to the shop i bought all new wires too, MSD since i got the MSD coil pack and everthing, so i just put them on too. But just the plugs did fix it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts