Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3+ week old 2012 SE and right before i come to a stop, the tachometer jumps 1800 rpm and then drops and holds at 1500 rpm. If i take my foot of the gas, the engine will stay at 1500 rpm. Only when i come to a complete stop will the RPM finally drop to around 700 RPM and idle.

It's only been doing this for the last week. I took it in today to my Ford dealer and they did nothing. They said it has happened on the new Fiestas and it's just a wait and see thing.

Somethings not right with this.... any ideas? [???:)]

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 3+ week old 2012 SE and right before i come to a stop, the tachometer jumps 1800 rpm and then drops and holds at 1500 rpm. If i take my foot of the gas, the engine will stay at 1500 rpm. Only when i come to a complete stop will the RPM finally drop to around 700 RPM and idle.

It's only been doing this for the last week. I took it in today to my Ford dealer and they did nothing. They said it has happened on the new Fiestas and it's just a wait and see thing.

I've observed this on my focus too, but not to your degree, and I think it's the quality of the DSG downshifting as you come to the stop (not the same as a standard automatic transmission downshifting, where you'll never notice the blips). I'll observe as I get closer to 0 mph, the transmission will throw in a bit of engine braking as it downshifts (observing about 1000-1200rpm). When I get around 2-3mph before 0 mph, it'll go to idle.

On going around the city, especially below 40 mph, the tendency of the transmission is to hover between 1100-1600 mph even while coasting with no foot on the accelerator.

I'm assuming you're in D mode (if you're in S mode, you'll really get the blips - I've noticed around 2000 rpms in S mode with a hard brake to stop before idle). And I'm also assuming you don't notice any griding/abnormal noises related to your stop.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Hi Stile2112,

The idle speed and shift patterns may be very different from what many drivers expect. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation. I suggest going to the dealership and test driving a similarly equipped Focus to see if it is behaving in the same manner. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer information so I can assist with your concerns.

~Natasha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,

It's happens in both D or S. I thought is was because of the engine down shifting but in D mode, i would watch as it shifted down to 1 gear and get just pass 1000 rpm or lower, the engine RPM would shoot back up to 1500 to 1800 RPM and hold. If i take my foot off the gas, the RPMs will stay at 1500 and the car will keep moving.

Other then that, the car runs great. No unexpected noise coming from the engine or transmission. My driving for the first two weeks was pretty tame tbh, so i think the adaptive learning need to go back to school.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks for the replies,

It's happens in both D or S. I thought is was because of the engine down shifting but in D mode, i would watch as it shifted down to 1 gear and get just pass 1000 rpm or lower, the engine RPM would shoot back up to 1500 to 1800 RPM and hold. If i take my foot off the gas, the RPMs will stay at 1500 and the car will keep moving.

Other then that, the car runs great. No unexpected noise coming from the engine or transmission. My driving for the first two weeks was pretty tame tbh, so i think the adaptive learning need to go back to school.
Hi Stile2112,

Just wanted to let you know I responded to your PM. We will help with properly diagnosing your Focus. [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the quick reply Natasha. Your Ford Rep called me Wednesday morning and the car is back at the dealership as of this morning.

-Stile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts