Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 SVT and installed Tom's Tune quite awhile ago. Recently (within the past two weeks), upon startup, the revs climb to 2200 and stay there until the temp. gauge starts to climb. Then the revs will drop to normal idle speed. When I first drive away, the revs are high enough that the car will move along at about 10 mph with no throttle input, and when I shift gears, the revs climb closer to 3500 before engaging the next gear.

I reverted back to the original tune, then reinstalled the Tom's Tune, but no change. Any ideas?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
that does seem a bit odd ... hit up Tom and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
How cold is it where you are?

The tune I developed here for my car was great in the summer but as it got colder (well, cold for Florida) I had to go back and readjust some of the tables.

Tom can adjust this as I had to do the same thing and all is well now.

·
Registered
426 Posts
i had the exact same issue with mine, and im back on the factory tune for now. i also get worse gas mileage with toms tune. i guess i need to contact him

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had a problem in years past, even in much colder temperatures. It almost seems like a vacuum problem, except that it runs normally once everything is warmed up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To follow up, I reinstalled the original tune, ran engine at idle for 5 minutes, disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, reconnected the battery, reinstalled the performance tune, started the engine and let idle for 5 minutes (per Tom's instructions).

Still, when the engine is first started from cold, it revs to 2,000 rpm, drops to about 1400 and stays there until warm. When driving away, the engine will continue to rev slightly when I shift gears (depress clutch pedal and engine RPM increases until clutch re-engaged). This goes on until the engine is at operating temp, then it performs as normal.

If it was a carbureted engine, I'd say there was a vacuum line leaking, but not sure where to look or what to look for on this machine ('04 SVT).

·
Registered
66 Posts
My car does the same thing, except i'm running the standard powerworks tune in place of tom's tune. I always figured the car just ran rich until the engine heated up because after about 5 minutes of driving it drops back down to the normal 800-900 rpm idle.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,786 Posts
When its cold your car will idle a little bit higher but I didn't think it would be that much. When i start my car in the cold it will idle at about 1750 or so until it warms up a little.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
thats not a tuning problem, it def. sounds like u developed a vacuum leak.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
i had the exact same issue with mine, and im back on the factory tune for now. i also get worse gas mileage with toms tune. i guess i need to contact him
Yea it helps to let me know if your having issues so I can adjust them !

Tom

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original problem has been FIXED. I have the FocusSport CoolFlo kit on my SVT, and as stated at the start of this thread, the engine would rev to 2,000 rpm, then 'settle' at about 1,400 as an idle until warm...and the engine would overrev on accel.

This past weekend, I had the filter removed for cleaning and noticed that the ductwork and snorkle that feed air into the filter area had been dislodged. Part of the snorkle was feeding the air intake, but a portion of it was divided off by the metal heat shield. I removed the heat shield, repositioned the intake snorkle (there is a post that fits into a grommet on the inner fender) and reinstalled the heat shield.

When I reinstalled the air filter, the engine started and idled as 'per normal'. I'm thinking that somehow, the air intake wasn't getting its airflow in the manner it needs. I've seen the same symptoms on motorcycles when people have altered/cut holes/ etc. the airbox. Engines want their air flowing in a certain manner. Mess with it and the engine lets you know about it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
mine does that too, no biggie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts