Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and my 2012 Focus Titanium with auto trans and 2500 miles were in the McDonald's take-out lane. I moved ahead a car length and braked to a stop in drive. After about 30 seconds at a stop I heard a very noticeable clunk and watched the engine rev up to about 3000 rpm. It stayed near 3000 rpm for about 5 seconds and then dropped to normal 700 idle rpm. I pulled ahead another car length and stopped. After a few seconds the engine rpm again climbed to about 3500 and stayed there for 5 – 10 seconds then dropped to normal. This time no noticeable clunk. I heard the engine rev up a lot on both these 10 second incidents but no feeling the car was in gear trying to move forward against the brake. Both times the car moved forward completely normal after the rpm dropped. No, my foot was not accidentally on the accelerator. The car was in drive before and after each incident. Consulted Service Manager and was told since no check engine light came on he could only keep the car and run with a recorder. I declined, hasn't happened since. Anyone else seen this?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
To me it sounds like some sort of hiccup with the throttle by wire mechanism, but I don't know why that wouldn't cause the car to move forward except that with the dual clutch trans and your foot on the brake it should be in neutral regardless of throttle position. Let's hope it doesn't happen again, but I predict you'll be replacing that throttle body under warranty. When it does completely fail the car won't run at all. You'll just have to wait for that to happen. In the meantime, familiarize yourself with the toll free number that Ford uses for warranty repairs so that you don't have to pay for the tow when it comes. I think the number is in the owner's manual, but a dealer service advisor should know it. It's something catchy like 800 TOW FORD or similar. If you end up having it towed to a dealer on your own, then you'll likely end up having to pay for that tow.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I moved ahead a car length and braked to a stop in drive. After about 30 seconds at a stop I heard a very noticeable clunk and watched the engine rev up to about 3000 rpm. It stayed near 3000 rpm for about 5 seconds and then dropped to normal 700 idle rpm. I pulled ahead another car length and stopped.
Hmm, I'd be guessing if I tried to say why it happened, but if it does occur again, take the service manager up on the offer of using the recorder, and PM me your info (VIN, name/contact number, mileage, & servicing dealer) so I can help. [:)]

~Natasha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts