Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been revamping my 2003 Cent focus with fswerks/vf supercharger. Once it gets put back together it's going to the Dyno for a retune. By my calculations it should produce about 10psi of boost at full song.

It's got about 221,000 on it. The car runs good but has a couple of oil leaks I need to fix. (Front crank, possible rear main, upper or lower oil pan)
I have the car on jackstands; the engine is sitting on jackstands hovering in the engine bay with all the engine mounts out and most of the hoses and electrical wiring disconnected. Now would be a great time to pull the engine and transmission(mtx75) to do anything I need to do to it.

The clutch is a ford racing center force factory clutch with about 50k miles driven hard but not abused.
How about the slave cyl? Change it?

What do you suggest I do?
A- full rebuild with bearings and rings with all gaskets
B- fresh gaskets with a carbon clean up and reseat the valves
C-do nothing it's a ZETEC U CAN KEEP RUNNING THAT BABY!
D- I suggest you do........

Thanks a ton for your input!

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
I would first do a compress and or leak down to see what the inside of the engine sais then decide from there

Over 200,000 is a good bit of miles for boost , if I were to go into it in my Zetec for boost I would do the eagle rods and forged pistons , ARP head and main studs and put it back together

You dont need a dyno for the tuning , I can do your tuning and save you a lot of money on dyno cost

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom.
I don't plan on changing the Pistons or rods as this engine set up will only produce about 200 whp. The stock motor is good for at least 300whp right? The engine has about 4k miles boosted so far. Previously it was totally stock.

It wasn't put together with the proper TLC in the first place hence the revamp to get things set up properly.

I have modified the SC pulley system to reduce belt slip significantly so I am hoping for a good and powerful running car!

I will consider the tuning, my last remote tuning experience was less than desirable. A lot of the blame there is on me as it was put together in a hurry.

Injected engineering is right around the corner, they have a good rep and can guide my stupidity when I haven't done something correctly!

Jeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the Zetec is only good to about 250hp to the wheels ,injected knows nothing about boosting a Focus and less about the VF/SC

Tom
Tom,
I appreciate that you are highly knowledgeable about FI Foci and i have respect for your experience and passionI its the attitude toward others that pushes me away from doing business with you.

Jeff

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
So you want some one working on your Focus that has no Zetec boosted knowledge and more then likely has never seen a VF/SC to ask them advice on how your doing things because if you read what I wrote that what I said

Does it not seem smart to ask for help from some one that knows more about the VF/SC then anyone else and one that has tuned more of them then anyone else has , how is that a bad attitude to anyone ?

Tom

·
Registered
279 Posts
Compression test for sure!! I did my own test before I supercharge my Zetec. It seemed very low on #1 and #4 cylinders so I had the engine torn down. After the tear down, the #4 piston ring was seized completly around the piston creating a huge leak. Never really noticed a loss in power.

If you do have a loss in compression, just replace the rings.
a lot of the zetecs leak oil from the valve cover, so I would definetly replace that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good input tex thanks a lot I will check that.
Any suggestions on a brand of gaskets?
Should I try and purchase a head gasket that's thinner for a little more compression?

·
FF Affiliate
31,101 Posts
Stick with the stock Ford head gasket they have proven to be the best , I wouldnt go thinner , the stock Zetec head gasket isnt that thick to start with

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stick with the stock Ford head gasket they have proven to be the best , I wouldnt go thinner , the stock Zetec head gasket isnt that thick to start with

Tom
Thanks tom , noted!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts