Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've started on rebuilding an SPI engine. My last one bit the valve seat hard and blew out the side of the cylinder wall. pulled an engine out of a different focus, rebuilt the head to prevent the same thing happening again so soon, now I'm building the block. Got new pistons pressed onto the rods, new bearings on, Just wanted to hop on here while waiting for the rest of my parts to arrive and ask for any advice from anyone who has done it before? I've built engines before but I'm self taught (Basic auto shop classes and youtube along with repair manuals) so any advice is always welcomed.

Before anyone says it, yes, I know it's going to probably fail again, which is why I'm just trying to fix it and drive it. I'll beef up the next engine when that time comes, but right now I need to park my truck. It gets ***** MPG

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
Make 100% SURE you clean out the intake manifold, some of those pieces blow back out into intake and waiting to go into other cylinders and a common way to blow up the new motor in minutes. Check it VERY well.

There is also a vacuum hose and a water hose going to intake that if you mix them up (they look the same) will fill the intake with coolant to then trash the new motor in another way.

Both are common rookie mistakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make 100% SURE you clean out the intake manifold, some of those pieces blow back out into intake and waiting to go into other cylinders and a common way to blow up the new motor in minutes. Check it VERY well.

There is also a vacuum hose and a water hose going to intake that if you mix them up (they look the same) will fill the intake with coolant to then trash the new motor in another way.

Both are common rookie mistakes.
Thanks. I didn't tear out the old engine, a buddy of mine bought it from the original owner, who said it just needed a new head. Once he saw the damage he called me over and I took it off his hands. Hopefully he took pictures or marked everything.

And I'm boiling the intake.

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
An aluminum intake into boiling caustic soda will give you a surprise in the morning, the intake will be GONE, caustic soda EATS aluminum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An aluminum intake into boiling caustic soda will give you a surprise in the morning, the intake will be GONE, caustic soda EATS aluminum.
That's why you use water and scrub it after. Appreciate the knowledge though. I didn't know that would happen

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
You won't have anything to scrub after the eating of the material begins the second you put the part in. In five minutes that part is garbage. And that is at the normal dilution, caustic soda ships dry, you must add water to even use it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't have anything to scrub after the eating of the material begins the second you put the part in. In five minutes that part is garbage. And that is at the normal dilution, caustic soda ships dry, you must add water to even use it.
I'm using water... in a metal drum... over a fire... no soda, no caustic anything... just water

·
Registered
15,568 Posts
You realize that even boiling water by itself is pretty much worthless as an engine cleaner? You won't be cleaning that very well.

I'll leave you alone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You realize that even boiling water by itself is pretty much worthless as an engine cleaner? You won't be cleaning that very well.

I'll leave you alone.
I would ask what you recommend... however after boiling it twice and scrubbing the inside with a toothbrush after each time, it's clean. Thank you for your concern, however this isn't my first rodeo. I just needed to break up the gunk on the inside and get the pieces out. Which I did. If you've actually rebuilt this engine I'd love some advice. But if all you know is caustic soda eats aluminum, I'm already past that.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Boiling is fine of you use aluminum safe degreaser. I always follow up with removing the oil galley plugs and blowing out the passages, especially if there was a bearing failure. New freeze plugs are in order as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts