Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this going on for quite some time now. And it appeared to ease up in loudness when I pressed down on the clutch. I mention this in another thread here started by another member. But I got major work done on my suspension and had all motor mounts replaced at the same time. I got my car back on Monday and everything sounded great. No rattle, no chatter, no vibrations. Just quiet.

Yesterday, I noticed that a bit of rattle began to come back. But that was when I started my car to go to work. Couldn't hear it at all at stop lights or anything. Then the same when I went to leave work yesterday. But when I got home I noticed that the rattle, chatter, vibrations was much louder. Same goes for this morning on my way into work. Once I got into work, I put on the parking brake and taped this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEV3zy0Bh6c&feature=youtu.be

Again, all motor mounts replaced with OEM parts purchased straight from Andy at VillageFord. Everything was great but now seems to be slowly getting worse.

Any ideas?

ETA: I tried to get closeups of the engine vibration as the engine is clearly shaking when you're watching it in person.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thats your tumble flaps in your intake manifold. How many miles? You can drive it for a while like that. Or replace the i/m. Hitup Andy for a cost of the i/m.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats your tumble flaps in your intake manifold. How many miles? You can drive it for a while like that. Or replace the i/m.
approaching 100k

yay! more parts to replace with no money!!!! [unsure]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You can drive it that way for a while. There are ppl that drive it that way for yrs.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can drive it that way for a while. There are ppl that drive it that way for yrs.
ok. Well that is a sigh of relief but it's a shame that I made a point this summer to make my car look and feel better and things just continue to break down after each repair!!!! I can't win!

If I wasn't going back to school I'd put the money into getting it all done yesterday. But I'm strapped.

What goes wrong with the intake manifold that it is making that rattling noise?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
There are some tumble flaps in the intake port of the manifold. Its called imrc= intake manifold runner control. Look below the intake on the drivers side & you'll see the vacuum switch w/ vacuum hoses going to it. If you remove the line going to the tumble flaps, it'll go away but the cel will come on.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick search on your diagnosis sounds spot on, felix.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281808&page=2

You're the man. Is this something that I can do myself or do I need to pull the engine out? I'm about to look up videos but if my boss catches me on YouTube with my current work load I'm in deep, hehe.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Stay out of trouble, Ren. Hitup Andy for the i/m. Have your mech. buddy change it out. Or just drive it that way.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stay out of trouble, Ren. Hitup Andy for the i/m. Have your mech. buddy change it out. Or just drive it that way.
hahaha. Anytime you refer to me by name is when I should heed warning. Point taken. Thanks for the help and being straight forward with me, felix!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for making me feel better! Haha

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
... Once I got into work, I put on the parking brake and taped this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEV3zy0Bh6c&feature=youtu.be
Ur video has good sound levels and that makes it good for others to learn or hear what our worn tumble flaps can sound like. Such a bummer Ford did not design it to be a little more durable. Whoops, I almost forgot to ask... Is that layer of dirt on your engine done with an aftermarket spray-on kit or was it made naturally?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
What makes you say the imtv is bad or rattling? Yea I understand the imrc, aka tumble flaps, but the imtv ones?
Very easy to hear it. When I unplug IMTV, the rattle sound almost disappears. I did this with and without IMRC enabled. The IMTV rattle is completely independent of the IMRC rattle. Having both rattle is great, it is STEREO rattle dude! Not the lame MONO rattle guys get with IMRC only (2.0 Duratec).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Very easy to hear it. When I unplug IMTV, the rattle sound almost disappears. I did this with and without IMRC enabled. The IMTV rattle is completely independent of the IMRC rattle. Having both rattle is great, it is STEREO rattle dude! Not the lame MONO rattle guys get with IMRC only (2.0 Duratec).
LOL!!! I never heard that one before.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, about to order the entire Intake Manifold from our man at Village Ford. The one I plan on buying is going to be #9424.

The mechanic is asking me if I have everything that need to be replaced along with that. Is there anything else that you guys think need to be replaced? I'm going to have him do the PCV while it is removed since he can access it then. I'm waiting for Andy to get back to me to let me know what all is included with that part number.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
and the PCV Hose right?

Some people have also replaced the T-stat while the IM is removed. Not sure, but I think replacing the T-stat is impossible (or Crazy) with the IM installed.

The PCV plastic Retainer Ring sometimes gets broken. F-n miracle I did not break mine when I did the same job.

New IM = Awesome.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and the PCV Hose right?

Some people have also replaced the T-stat while the IM is removed. Not sure, but I think replacing the T-stat is impossible (or Crazy) with the IM installed.

The PCV plastic Retainer Ring sometimes gets broken. F-n miracle I did not break mine when I did the same job.

New IM = Awesome.
I can do the hose but what is the T-stat?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
T-Stat = Thermal Imaging Stater. Also referred to as a Reflector by some of the older guys.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is am approximate price for that? Sounds expensive. Also how long to install with the IM off?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts