Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone Ive been having issues with my 2000 ford focus. It had an oil leak so i took it to the mechanoc to get the valve cover gaaket changed. It has been 2 days now since i got it changed but ocassionally i do get the burning oil smell inside of the car. M question is where else can it be leaking other than the valve cover. My next question is I was low on oil so I added some oil into the car but when i popped the hood open the motor was hot to the touch i couldnt unscrew the oil cap from how hot it was. I dont know if this is normal but if it isnt what could be the cause of it? The temperature gauge is at normal range in the center. Now i dont know if this matter but along with the valve cover gasket i got the timing belt and water pump replaced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Give it a couple days. May just be residual burning off. This is why I keep my engine clean. Much easier to tell new gunk from old! Give it a good degreasing and see if you smell it anymore.. if it's burnt it'll be on the manifold.should be easy to spot

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Remember that your temperature gauge is not really a gauge--you'd think it would reflect the actual heat levels, but no, it's essentially just an idiot light. When it spikes up, you're overheating. When it drops down, you're too cold (usually thermostat failure).
So just because it's steady in the middle doesn't mean that the temperature is steady, just that it's within the normal range. There is a self-test described in the stickies section to figure out what the actual temperature is as it's running.

Yes, the cap can be hot after a long drive, more so if the oil level is low. If the mechanic replaced your VC gasket, he should have checked the oil level. I would also check your coolant level if he did the water pump--perhaps he didn't check that either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts