Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with an engine problem for a car I have not looked at myself yet. The daugther of a guy I work with has a 2000 LX 4 door with the 2.0 Split Port motor and about 160,000 miles on it. She was running erronds before work and when she got to work shut the car off. She was early for work, so they told her to come back in an hour and when she went to restart the car, she said she had nothing except dsh lights. It would not turn over. She called a friend and they checked out the battery to insure that was not the problem. Her dad then checked it out and figured it was the starter. He changed the starter and still nothing. He has now asked me my thoughts and says that he tryed a pry bar on the fly wheel and can not get the fly wheel to turn.

Did the motor lock up on this thing and it just so happened that it coinsided with when she shut it off at work or is there other possible problems that it could be? I know some of the GM cars have a crank position sensor and lock pin that will stop the crank from turning if it is not functioning properly.

I will be checking the car out myself sometime in the next week, but figured any ideas of a direction to look before I got started would be a big help.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Well, it depends on what is happening, e.g., is there really nothing happening when she tries to start it, or is there a relay click, chatter, or other noises?

If truely nothing is happening, I would confirm that the start is, or is not, getting power sent to it when the ignition key is turned to the start postion. I believe that automatics hve an interlock such that the tranmission must be in par to start. If this is faulty, you will get nothing when trying to start it. I believe the manual transmissions have a switch on the clutch pedal such that the pedal must be depressed to start the car. If it is fault, you will get nothing when the switch is in the start position.

Since the starter had been changed and the battery checked, I would definitely check to see if the starter is getting power sent to it when the ignition key is in the start/crank position. If it is not, then I would work backwards from that point in the circuit diagram and test for voltage, until I got to the faulty component.

Of course, this assumes that truly "nothing" is happening when the key is turned to the start position.

P.S. "he says that he tryed a pry bar on the fly wheel and can not get the fly wheel to turn." That would probably not be my next diagnostic action after installation of a new starter failed to solve the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is a 5 speed car. I didn't think about the clutch position sensor. Of course, I haven't seen what happens with the starter yet. If the starter is getting power and trying to engage, I'll pull the serpentine belt off of the engine to see that none of the components are locked up and stopping the starter from being able to turn the engine over.

·
Registered
240 Posts
try pushing the car in first gear and engage it with ignition key on it should turn the engine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts