Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine is overheating then I drive at 100km/h or above.
I can't drive more than 130km/h, because temperature gauge is on "red".
engine is overheating when outdoor temperature is even -15 C.
heat is working.

Then at idle, or in town there was no overheating at all.

1.coolant didn't disapear.
2. fan is working
3. I checked T-STAT in boiling watter - it's OK
4. I changed CHT sensor - nothing changed.
5. I checked google - didn't find answer :(

Engine Zetec 16v 1.6 2000

[rant]
Please HELP!

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
Dipping the t-stat in boiling water doesnt actually show the temperature its opening at. It may not open until a high temp. best to replace it since its a fairly cheap part.
to test properly, place it in warm water with a thermometer, then slowly heat and watch what temp it starts opening.
But if its ok at idle i doubt the thermostats bad. try running it without the thermostat and see what happens. may just be the sensor has gone bad

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If your heater is working well, the coolant is circulating. First thing I'd do is install a new thermostat... that's the most common point of failure, and the cheapest fix. I assume your belt is not slipping.

If the symptoms remain the same.....check the actual coolant temperature with an external temperature probe of some sort. That would eliminate any sensor/gauge problems.

If that really checks hot, I'd then check the radiator for clogging. You can get hand-held non-contact temperature meters. It's easier if you remove the grill, Run the pointer all around the radiator......see if any areas are running cold, which indicate clogging. A radiator shop can usually repair such a problem.

On high mileage cars, I've seen impellers rust off the water pump, which cuts down on coolant circulation.....but that usually causes the heater to run cooler. I've also seen nasty air-pocket problems that caused such issues as this.....but again the air pocket is usually in the heater circuit. You might try bleeding the system with the front end of the car jacked way up.....

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts