Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting bored of my 2013 Focus 2.0l. Experiencing shudder transmission considered as normal by Ford (extended warranty letter I received yesterday) I also have engine over rev problem going downhill with cruise control on. This happen at different times. Explanation is at any speed I drive with cruise control on when I go downhill the engine RPM raise to 4500-5000 controling speed same as cruise control works. Something when I press on the gaz pedal it gets RPM back to normal. I tried to to put cruise control off and it keeps doing the same problem.1 month ago I drove thru the White mountains in Maine and twice it kept on reving and I almost hit the car head. I went to my dealer service dep't
and they are not aware of that problem. As this happens only at different times it would be hard to reproduce the problem. I also had the oil seal replace for the oil leak and it makes a big change althoug this little shudder is still bore me because 50% of my driving is in the city. My present mileage is 23000 km (13000 miles). Anybody have this cruise problem?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm getting bored of my 2013 Focus 2.0l. Experiencing shudder transmission considered as normal by Ford (extended warranty letter I received yesterday) I also have engine over rev problem going downhill with cruise control on. This happen at different times. Explanation is at any speed I drive with cruise control on when I go downhill the engine RPM raise to 4500-5000 controling speed same as cruise control works. Something when I press on the gaz pedal it gets RPM back to normal. I tried to to put cruise control off and it keeps doing the same problem.1 month ago I drove thru the White mountains in Maine and twice it kept on reving and I almost hit the car head. I went to my dealer service dep't
and they are not aware of that problem. As this happens only at different times it would be hard to reproduce the problem. I also had the oil seal replace for the oil leak and it makes a big change althoug this little shudder is still bore me because 50% of my driving is in the city. My present mileage is 23000 km (13000 miles). Anybody have this cruise problem?
I guess your car is an automatic? No problem with my manual.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
You do realize this is the downhill feature right?
The engine rpm increased because the car downshifted to a lower gear to allow for greater engine braking to use the engine and transmission to slow the car down rather than relying upon the service brakes. On very long descents you don't want to be riding the brake because that would over heat the pads and rotors (as well as the drums in the back if so equipped), and then you could lose brakes entirely until they cooled back down.

It is fully expected that this would occur, at least if I understand the purpose of hill grade assist as used going down hill rather than up hill. Up hill a lower gear and higher rpm would lead to more torque being produced, and by locking it into a lower gear it prevents the car from shifting up and down repeatedly which is better for the car as its not constantly engaging and disengaging gears if the vehicle speed is too low to sustain the higher gear, but too high to maintain the lower gear comfortably.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also have engine over rev problem going downhill with cruise control on. This happen at different times. Explanation is at any speed I drive with cruise control on when I go downhill the engine RPM raise to 4500-5000 controling speed same as cruise control works
This is normal behaviour. While in cruise control, the car knows that it is going downhill and speeding up. To maintain your set speed without applying the brakes, it will downshift, sometimes several gears, to slow the car down using engine braking. When it is revving high like this going downhill, the throttle is closed and it isn't burning gas.

This is actually a lot smarter than old cruise control systems I've used, that required you to manually put the car into a lower gear or ride the brakes to slow down.

I see that you have an SE - do you have the one without select shift (only one button on the side of the shifter)? If you push that button and the orange light on the dash is turned on, the car goes into "grade assist" mode and will behave the same (rev high going downhill). Cruise control just turns this behaviour on automatically.

I'm going up and down mountains all the time in BC, and this mode really helps keep the brakes from overheating, once you understand what's going on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for reaching out about this, Claude41. I'd like to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, dealership information, and best daytime contact number. I'll be on the lookout for your private message!

Brittany

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for reaching out about this, Claude41. I'd like to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your full name, VIN, dealership information, and best daytime contact number. I'll be on the lookout for your private message!

Brittany
Nice, Canadian customer help. Ford knows Canada exists?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah this is functioning as intended. It's called engine braking. I do it sometimes in my manual to keep from going faster while going down a hill. The newer automatics do it to prevent your brakes from being chewed up so quickly.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Why don't you contact Brittany (FordServiceCA) with a PM, and post your GF's issue in a fresh thread or an existing one in the TSB, Recalls & Problems section.

Poor fit here in a thread about rpm increase when going downhill, less likely to be noticed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why don't you contact Brittany (FordServiceCA) with a PM, and post your GF's issue in a fresh thread or an existing one in the TSB, Recalls & Problems section.

Poor fit here in a thread about rpm increase when going downhill, less likely to be noticed.
You are absolutely right mate, I'll delete it.

Edit. We can't delete our own posts? What is this joke???

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

Edit. We can't delete our own posts? What is this joke???
Because........................C'est la vie! hehe

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You can edit it to say nothing, "delete" is a mod function in the software.

Don't worry about it, unless you really want it gone, then I could get it for you.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Yes, the engine speeds up on cruise control when going down hills that tend to make the car speed up above the cruise setpoint. I don't worry about it as it's doing what it's supposed to do. With my Ti I often put it into select shift/manual mode and the car will remain in the same gear so the engine won't speed up going down a steep hill. The car, however, will speed up so you have to keep an eye on speed and the cops...

This downshifting in cruise going down hills is not limited to the Ford Focus and it's DCT as most new cars do this as well and that includes traditional torque converter autos...

Brian

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why don't you contact Brittany (FordServiceCA) with a PM, and post your GF's issue in a fresh thread or an existing one in the TSB, Recalls & Problems section. ...
I'll be on the lookout for that PM and/or, Kent253! I didn't catch the post in this thread, but I'll be happy to help however I can.

Have a great day!

Brittany

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the engine speeds up on cruise control when going down hills that tend to make the car speed up above the cruise setpoint. I don't worry about it as it's doing what it's supposed to do. With my Ti I often put it into select shift/manual mode and the car will remain in the same gear so the engine won't speed up going down a steep hill. The car, however, will speed up so you have to keep an eye on speed and the cops...

This downshifting in cruise going down hills is not limited to the Ford Focus and it's DCT as most new cars do this as well and that includes traditional torque converter autos...

Brian
Sorry for Focus fanatics, I got rid of it today with a 3500,00$ lost. Going back to GM with purchase of an Equinox. I would'nt even look to an Escape. Now that Ford is away I hope to stop nighmares.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sorry for Focus fanatics, I got rid of it today with a 3500,00$ lost. Going back to GM with purchase of an Equinox. I would'nt even look to an Escape. Now that Ford is away I hope to stop nighmares.
You sold the car because of this?[80?]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be on the lookout for that PM and/or, Kent253! I didn't catch the post in this thread, but I'll be happy to help however I can.

Have a great day!

Brittany
Hi Brittany. I wrote to Ford customer relations I their answer was they could'nt help me in any way because it's the a normal performance of this car. Nor they would consider help with the trading value on purchasing of another Ford product.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts