Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just out of curiousity, but recently I got an oil change and because they didn't have regular 5w20 they gave full synthetic 5w20. I have only 30,000 on my focus and I have to say I not only do I hear a difference but feel a difference as well. My focus is running a lot smoother now. I also know that 5w20 is partially synthetic as well.

My questions are :

Can I use regular oil in my engine anymore?

Is full synthetic bad to use on a relatively young car?

If it is bad to do so young what signs should I be looking for?

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
I swapped over to a full synthetic at 5K miles on my car. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a full synthetic in a young car...I have no idea where you got the idea that it might be harmful.

You could safely switch back to whatever oil you were used to using at your next oil change, but pick what you want to go with and stick with it. It's not good practice to be swapping inbetween standard and synthetic oils because they are so different in consistency and function.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Youll be fine with synthetic. Its only sorta bad on really new cars (under 5k miles) as it doesnt let any seals soak into the oil.
If you can, just stick with synthetic and do an oil change every 5k miles. But it shouldnt hurt to go back to regular.
This shouldnt happen on a relatively new car, but some signs to look out for are minor oil leaks caused by the smaller synthetic molecules.
Alan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive heard several times that syn oil is not suggested on OLDER cars if regular oil has been all that you have been using since I guess the syn oil is thinner and doesnt get thicker like fossil oil does and an old engine has more wear which allows the oil to leak(or leach) past the rings. Me personally I have used mobil 1 5/30 since 5k miles and I have 45k now on it and it runs great and yes you can feel the difference between the 2 oils. $23 bucks a case(6) at Costco

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thnx for the info I will be sticking with Synthetic i think from now on. it just makes the care feel so much nicer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The only time I personaly dont use synthetic is when your first breaking in a car. On a new car the first oil change should be regualr just because everything needs to be broken in and regulat oil helps this proccess. But after that synthetic can make a world of distance in how your car runs as well as it's longevity.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Can someone quantify the comment "it just makes the car feel so much nicer." What quantifiable means can one make that statement? I have never been able to tell the difference between an engine running synthetic and one running non-synthetic.

IMO, you are overpaying if you run synthetic. Regular Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic will more than protect your engine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I dont use synthetic because of "the feel", I use it because it is suppose to protect your engine in the long run. That, and I drive like crazy sometimes so I need an oil that protects me in high rpms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Synthetic does make a difference in engine performance and feel. My dad is not really a car guy and he put synthetic in his Accord for a trip out to California because he wasn't planning to stop for an oil change. Even he noticed a difference in performance and gas mileage. He still uses synthetic in his car.

The big question is whether synthetic oil is worth the added cost. My thought on that subject is that if you are changing oil every 3,000 miles, it probably is not. If you are going by the Ford recommended 5,000 mile service intervals, it is probably worth it.

As far as engine break in is concerned, most of the break in will occur within the first 1,000 miles of driving, so you should be okay with synthetic oil after that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I will be switching over to Royal Purple 5W-20 after I hit the 6,000 mile mark. In the past 5 vehicles I've owned I've gone that route and wouldn't change. I thought I'd put up a little synthetic oil info that most people find interesting....

The current definition of “synthetic oil” for labeling purposes includes Group III and Group IV base stocks. In simple terms, Group III is Group II conventional crude oil that undergoes additional processing. Group IV on the other hand is engineered oil built at the molecular level to produce a completely uniform base stock.

Who could have made such an important decision? Would you believe the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus? Why on earth would the NAD get involved in deciding what constitutes synthetic oil? It’s simple; in 1997 Castrol changed the base stock in their Syntec product line from Group IV to Group III. Complaints were filed by Mobil against Castrol for continuing to call their product synthetic oil. Without any scientific or engineering definitions, the NAD took it upon themselves to make the determination. Since Group III is Group II processes through extra steps, the NAD felt it was a reasonable basis for the claim that Castrol Syntec was synthesized.

Since this momentous decision, a number of other companies have followed suit switching their synthetic products to Group III base stock. Most these products are still sold at a premium price level since consumers are willing to pay more for synthetics. The problem is that consumers are paying more because they believe they are getting a substantially better product.

Crude oil is comprised of a wide range of different size molecules. The size of individual molecules ultimately determines the thickness or viscosity of the oil. The larger the molecule size, the thicker the oil. For engine oils, a medium sized molecule yields the desired fluid viscosity. Crude oil is refined to remove unwanted molecules. However, the resulting Group II and III products are still comprised of a cocktail of various size molecules.

In hot engines the smaller molecules evaporate which is generally perceived as oil consumption. Of greater concern is the fact that the remaining oil is thickening as a direct result of losing the smaller molecules. Larger molecules tend to have weaker bonds that break or sheer. Gears in motorcycle engines not typically found in automotive applications contribute to molecular sheer. The broken molecules bond with free oxygen or other free molecules growing into very large molecules forming sludge that further increases oil viscosity.

Group IV base stock oils are comprised of molecules that are all exactly the same size. These molecules are engineered to provide the desired viscosity with a very strong molecular bond. As a result, there are no small molecules to evaporate and molecules are highly resistant to breaking or shearing. Therefore, these oils are highly resistant to forming sludge or viscosity changes. Group IV oils hold up better in higher temperatures under all conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a lot of good information on Synthetic oil. How do we know which synthetic oils use the group IV vs Group III base stock? From your post, I'm assuming Royal Purple is one. Everyone here seems to like the Royal Purple products. When I owned my Nissan NX2000, that group seemed to like the Redline oils. Does anyone here use those? It also seems to me that most car enthusiasts accept that Mobil1 makes a good synthetic oil. Are you saying that they may now use the Group III base stock for their oil?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, and Motul are in Groups IV and V.
Any other “synthetics” you see at the store are Group III. Current Mobil 1 "Tri Syn" is Group III. They discontinued the PAO base stock after they lost their lawsuit against Castrol.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so castrol is Group III then? If so, that sucks and My next oil change will be the royal purple. I would like to know what other oils are group IV.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Yeah, looks like I'll be getting something other than Mobil 1 for my next change...rat bastards, should've figured they'd screw the consumer one way or another.

·
Registered
234 Posts
focituner said:
so castrol is Group III then? If so, that sucks and My next oil change will be the royal purple. I would like to know what other oils are group IV.

Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, and Motul are in Groups IV and V.

Any other “synthetics” you see at the store are Group III. Current Mobil 1 "Tri Syn" is Group III. They discontinued the PAO base stock after they lost their lawsuit against Castrol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
EdwardK said:
I will be switching over to Royal Purple 5W-20 after I hit the 6,000 mile mark. In the past 5 vehicles I've owned I've gone that route and wouldn't change. I thought I'd put up a little synthetic oil info that most people find interesting....

[thumb] Now that's a post! Great Info, Thanks for making us more informed consumers!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm going to be going the syn route here soon as the weather warms up. I HATE changing my own oil in the freezing cold weather, so i just pay someone to do it for me :) As soon as i can though i'm going to run Syn in her, see if i can quite that engine down a bit, it's ungodly noisy!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats a good point too, most people dont take the time to change their oil so you pay joe schmoe $25 to do it at a 10 min place, with regular oil(unless you have a coupon) so I buy the syn for $23 a case(6 ) and do it myself, The "cool" weather is ok, and doing it every 5k I usually only have 1 "cool" oil change a year. I run Amsoil in my diesel and it gets done every 15k or 1 year(filter is still done every 5k)that is when they said you should "start" thinking about having you oil anylized if you want to go longer. The new 6.0 diesel is nice since the filter is on TOP of the motor and you dont lose a drop. its cool only takes like 90 sec to do a filter change.[8D]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well I drive ABOUT 1.5k miles a month, so i do between 5-6k mile oil changes. I figure that if i do syn myself it is about the same price as paying someone to do it with semi-syn. The ONLY problem I face is then getting rid of all that used motor oil. I know there are places around me that will take it, its just a matter of getting it there because i sure as HELL don't want that nasty old oil inside my focus!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts