Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know if the required 5w-20 engine oil is something that's commonly available, or must I get a quart at the Ford dealer?

·
Registered
446 Posts
funny, walmart wouldnt be the first place id look.. i guess thats just me.
ive heard of some people having trouble finding it, but i havent had mine long enough to change the oil yet [:)]

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah Wal Mart is great for oil at least the one's down here actually just picked up two 5 quart jugs one for my focus and one for my explorer. Yes i know the focus is only 4.5 quarts oh and the filter are slightly cheaper there but just barely

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Problem with the walmart by me is they don't carry 0W20 Mobil-1. Every other Walmart does. [:(!]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Well, Mobil-1 is. They don't make a 5w20, so I plan to use their 0w20, which meets all of Ford's specs for a 5w20 oil.

I know there are better oil's out there, but I've had a great track record with Mobil-1 so far.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure it is hard to do better than Mobil 1, and I'm glad they have an oil compatible with the PZEV engine. I've always used Mobil 1 in my other car, which my Focus is now kinda replacing. My other car's an '86 Shelby GLH-S, which most of you folks probably heard of. It has a little plaque on the valve cover stating that Mobil 1 is the factory-recommended oil for the engine. I pulled off my valve cover at 100K miles (and 15 years) and it looked almost NEW inside!

I wouldn't put any of those other 'big name' synthetics (i.e., Castrol, Valvoline, etc.) in my cars. Those only came on the market after they lobbied to change the rule on how "synthetic oil" is defined, which is now broader than it was previously. As far as I know, Mobil 1 is still the only widely available true synthetic out there. (Redline, Amsoil, et al, are great products I'm sure but very expensive and limited in distribution.)

I'll probably switch to Mobil 1 0w-20 after a couple K miles of driving the Focus. Thanks all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
0W20, 5W20

There has been a good deal of discussion about the merits and demerits of the lighter oils. Nobody should be bending over backwards to use these light viscosity oils. In the long term, the engine will wear more quickly since the thinner viscosity oils can't isolate wear particles as well as higher viscosity oils. Those concerned with the longest possible engine life coupled with the highest quality performance will do well (IMO) to use a 0W30 or 5W30 real synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or Amsoil, or even a 5W50 like SynLube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts