Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright latly i noticed my engine is not idling smoothly. When i start the car up it takes a while for the idle to get to where its suppose to, itll start at like 1k and work its way down to normal 800-850. But i think thats normal. But after the car warms up and i idle, its sits at the right rpm,800 but the engine doesnt seem to be running smooth, theyll be an occasional small vibration, its not extremely noticable but it just doesnt seem like its running smoothly, it may be running normal but im not sure. Idle rpms are fine so i dont think its my volant, and i checked to make sure all the connections are tight. Only other problem is terrible 19mpg gas milage, so maybe the spark plugs are going.....even though i only have 14k on the car. Let me know what you guys think, i was thinking about getting new plugs anyway and seeing if it would improve the milage. Let me know which kinds i should get, and how much they cost. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Assuming all of your wires are snug on the connecters, your spark plugs may be fouled or the point corroded. Pull each one out and check it out. How old are your wires? If your gas milieage is decreasing, it may because you're not getting a clean spark.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dwdgsi03 said:
Assuming all of your wires are snug on the connecters, your spark plugs may be fouled or the point corroded. Pull each one out and check it out. How old are your wires? If your gas milieage is decreasing, it may because you're not getting a clean spark.
well in actually years my wires and plugs are 3 and half years old, car was born in october of 02. In miles they only 14k. This is assuming that everything is the orginal part from the factory, i really have no idea what my car was doing for the 2 years before i bought it. Oh and my gas milage is not decreasing, its always sucked from day one. My car is a 03, but i bought the car in summer of 04, it was still showroom new and had 30 miles on it. As far as gas milage goes, ive checked everything but the fuel filter. Havent replaced the plugs though just had the gap checked and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well every 30K your supposed to replace your fuel filter, so it's not due yet. Your Idle stumble your getting could be your DPFE sensor causing the intermitent stumble you speak of.
I would suggest takeing out your spark plugs and checking the gap and condition on them.

Evan though the car has 14K the plugs could still be in bad shape, It's not likely.... But check.
Also, Have you EVER detailed your engine ??? Alot of people don't know that water leaks down the holes through the rubber boots, they are only meant to keep dust out not water, so just be carefull if you do detail your engine.
1 last thing..... Did you check and see if your vehicle was effected by the fuel pump campaign ??? that could also be a problem...

Troy.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
^^^hmmm no, where can i check to see if it was, i think it was only the 00-02s, but my car was made in the early 03 model year so maybe. I think its just an extended warrenty on the fuel pump. Last time i went in to have my gas milage checked, all they did was check everything with the computer, they didnt actually look at anything but that was at like 7500 miles. Now i have double that and still the same problems i had then. What do you think i should do, get new spark plugs and put in some fuel injector cleaner and see if that works, or should i just bring it to ford immmedialty and have them look at it?

Oh and about the replacing things a certain miles, thats kinda up in the air, b/c my front brake pads need to be replaced already, and im only at 14k. Oh and my car was two years old before i bought it so it could of been sittin around somewhere and had things collecting in the fuel tank and on the fuel pump and screwed things up....honestly i wouldnt be surprised.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Plugs and wires helped to smooth out my idle a bit after putting in my Steeda SRI. I used Denso Iridium which ran about $40 for the set. Most people on here seem to prefer Motorcraft or Autolite Double Platinum plugs.

If you think your car sat for a long time, you may want to get some engine cleaner as well. I use a kind that has a teflon additive that helps coat the engine.

Also...have you checked the air filter to make sure it's clean and nothing is stuck in there? I don't think a dirty air filter would cause that bad of gas mileage, but you never know. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
that sucks my car does that when i stop it idle for about 1 sec and then it starts dropping to about 500-600 and it keeps goin up and down.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
psenechal said:
Plugs and wires helped to smooth out my idle a bit after putting in my Steeda SRI. I used Denso Iridium which ran about $40 for the set. Most people on here seem to prefer Motorcraft or Autolite Double Platinum plugs.

If you think your car sat for a long time, you may want to get some engine cleaner as well. I use a kind that has a teflon additive that helps coat the engine.

Also...have you checked the air filter to make sure it's clean and nothing is stuck in there? I don't think a dirty air filter would cause that bad of gas mileage, but you never know. Good luck.
its not the air filter, thats already been checked.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Before we can hell. You bot an 03 in 04 (bot it two years old-doesn't compute) Took it to the dealer to check the mileage- Why them. Let's start from the beginning. I can see buying an 03 in 04 that happens all the time- is that the case? I doubt it's been "hanging around for 2 years when you bot it. In any case, the worn brakes kind of mean you've maybe been stopping hard, and not in highway traffic. If that's the cans, maybe you're accelerating hard too. Have you correctly calculated your mpg, and what kind of traffic do you drive in. Sounds like maybe the driver needs the tune up. Let us know where you drive: if it's stop and go, 19 is not bad. A good rough check is to time your usual drive (like to work or school) and not the mileage. What's the average. If it's 15 or 20 mph, then it's like driving in second, so figure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have a 2003 ford focus se w/ spi engine and my spark plugs were bad at 14,000-15,000 miles. so i would definately check them and then check your fuel pump and filter. i get terrible gas milage to so dont worry too much about that.

·
Hon-duh Rider
1,347 Posts
DrkKnight614, What you are describing sounds kinda similar to what i am experiencing with my 05 ZX5. After running at like highway speeds and then stop (in town) it'll drop to 1000 then stumble back and forth between 600 and 800. And on top of that, when i accelerate the car with stumble at around 2000 and 2200. I can't figure mine out either. it's been doing it since I bought it a year ago with 7 miles on it. Now it has about 15000. I'll keep an eye on this thread so i can hopefully figure out my problem too. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mine also got the same problem.... the idling is not smooth, and it vibrate a little and when i depress the clutch pedal, the rpm will rev up to 2000-2500 then drop back to it normal at about 800-1000rpm. anyone got the solution?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
BiggTigger78 said:
DrkKnight614, What you are describing sounds kinda similar to what i am experiencing with my 05 ZX5. After running at like highway speeds and then stop (in town) it'll drop to 1000 then stumble back and forth between 600 and 800. And on top of that, when i accelerate the car with stumble at around 2000 and 2200. I can't figure mine out either. it's been doing it since I bought it a year ago with 7 miles on it. Now it has about 15000. I'll keep an eye on this thread so i can hopefully figure out my problem too. Good luck.
Definately check to be sure that your plugs are gapped to .051 as is written on page 210 of the owner's manual in the glovebox. That may not be DrKnight's problem- but it could very well be yours. Another FF was following my FE thread in Duratec 2.0 performance, and he mentioned horrible fuel economy like less than 20 mpg on his short trips to work. Granted, he understood that the short commutes were part of the fuel use problem, but he also had a stumbling idle issue. He pulled his plugs and found the gap to be anywhere from .035 -.045- nowhere near correct. After fixing the plugs he reported 24-26mpg. To remove your plugs and coils, use a 10mm to unbolt the coils, rotate the coil counter-clockwise while gripping the rubber under the coil to loosen the boot's grip on the plug. Pull straight up, and you will need both anti-seize and spark plug contact grease which you can get for about $1 at Autozone in little one time use packets. The anti-seize is for the plug threads of course. In fact, I'm going to do mine today just to be sure [thumb]

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PDQEagle said:
Before we can hell. You bot an 03 in 04 (bot it two years old-doesn't compute) Took it to the dealer to check the mileage- Why them. Let's start from the beginning. I can see buying an 03 in 04 that happens all the time- is that the case? I doubt it's been "hanging around for 2 years when you bot it. In any case, the worn brakes kind of mean you've maybe been stopping hard, and not in highway traffic. If that's the cans, maybe you're accelerating hard too. Have you correctly calculated your mpg, and what kind of traffic do you drive in. Sounds like maybe the driver needs the tune up. Let us know where you drive: if it's stop and go, 19 is not bad. A good rough check is to time your usual drive (like to work or school) and not the mileage. What's the average. If it's 15 or 20 mph, then it's like driving in second, so figure.
Ok i bought my 03 in july of 04...my car was made in october of 02....thats why i said it was almost 2 years old before i bought it. I took it to the dealer to have them check the milage, they check it with some computer program that they have and it gives you the exact milage down to the tenth of a mile. First they drive it around for a bit and then calculate the miles. So that proved that it wasnt just my driving style. I travel back and forth to school about 18 miles each way and at least 35 to 40 mintues, so thats plenty to warm the engine up, and my commute is a mix of hwy and city. And the worn brakes are possibly my fault, but im not driving like a maniac and accelerating hard then braking really hard, acceleration is not always smooth lol, but when i brake I make it as smooth as possible, i dont like having the car jerk and me jerk forward. And if its stop and go, 19 is bad, b/c our cars are suppose to get 24 miles per gallon city, and thats what most other foci owners get if not more.

Neway new development, when i took my car in to get new brakes and my 17s put on i had them check the fuel filter and replace it. The fuel filter was clogged, so either theres something wrong with long island gas, b/c i only use name brands like sonoco and shell and exxon, and i dont always get it from the same station. Or my idea of it sitting around for too long in that span of 1 year and 9 months and having deposits collecting on the fuel filter and in the tank has some truth to it. Anyway so new fuel filter is in, so im going to see if that fixes everything up, if not im going to put new spark plugs in, if that doesnt work, new wires(ford racing 9mm), if that doesnt work, im bringing it back to the dealership and have them check the fuel pump and the lines. If that doesnt work lol, i have no idea what it could be b/c everything except for engine internals and transmission and the things i just listed have been checked or replaced. Wish me luck i hope the filter was the root to the bad gas milage. Oh i had them put fuel injector cleaner in the tank too just incase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the fuel filter didn't help check out your DPFE which is part of the EGR system. A way to check if you DPFE is fuct is to disconnect the vacuum hose from the EGR, and shove a golf tee in the hose to keep the vacuum. Start the car and see if the idle is smoother like that. If it is, then take the tee out and hook everything back up, then get a new DPFE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts