Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've kept my mouth shut up to this point about my focus due to not having any issues (unlike most) with it to date. Today I noticed a lifter tap noise coming from the engine. This is the first time I've heard it. The fluids are fine, and nothing has been done recently to alert me as to why this has come about. The only thing that has changed is the weather. It got real cold starting yesterday and I just noticed the noise now that it's cold out. Anyone else have this experience in cold weather?

I've had lifter tap noise issues with the one Integra I used to own, but not this loud, and not this sudden. I'm concerned because in my opinion it does not sound "normal".

Any insight is appreciated. [:)]

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Focus engine has over head cams, and therefore has no lifters. I think what you are hearing is the transmission. Try listening while you push in the clutch, if the noise goes away, then it is the gearbox. I have had mine replaced, gearbox, flywheel and clutch assy. It still makes the same noise. Sounds like marbles in a tin can. I spoke with the SVT folks after the replacement, and they said, "it is the nature of the beast".

I could be wrong, but I think that is what you are hearing....................... or maybe not lol
Get it checked out and let us know.
bfocused

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine has both noises mentioned here. Their is a slight valve tap, but I think that it is heard because of the aluminium heads, not really worried about that.

The clutch noise I definitely have, not all the time. My clutch is also inconsistent. Sometimes the engagement is long, sometime short, and sometimes it doesn't disengage all the way. I'm due in in about two weeks, so I'll have them look into it. I'm going try and demand that the clutch, flywheel, and possibly tranny get replaced, or at least removed and checked out. We'll see how that goes[;)]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not the transmission. The noise is coming directly from the engine. I popped the hood to get a better idea of where it was coming from and it was from the top of the engine. Any idea why it just started to make noise and hasn't been since I bought the car?

Just an FYI...My Integra had overhead cams and made the same noise (just not as loud).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the thing...it doesn't matter if the car has been running for an hour...the noise is still there...which worries me. It is louder when I first start the car, and then gets more faint as it warms up, but it does not go away. That's the part I'm concerned about.

It's due for an oil change. I'll try that first (to make sure there is 5W30 in there) and then see what happens. Thanks for the help. [:)]

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the exact same problem as Wolf71. The clutch pedal never presses the same way twice. Sometimes it can go halfway to the floor before it builds any pressure, and my shifter "pops" out of gear when I shift, like it didn't disengage all the way. Dealer has looked at it twice, can't find anything as of yet. Let me know what they say about that, if you'd be so kind.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe Focaltech can set us straight on this lifter issue. But, it is my understanding that the focus ztec engine uses the same set up as the VW engine. That is, it uses "pucks" or metal disc to gap the space between the cam lobe and the top of the valve. I remember the VW engine using disc of various thickness to set the proper valve lash. Some techie set me straight.
bfocused

·
Registered
134 Posts
My engine makes a loud ticking noise, but it is a fuel injector. It seems even louder since the temperature in Michigan has dropped to low 10's and below.

You can hear the difference in noise when you push on the accellerator when the engine is at idle. The ticking noise does not directly corespond to engine RPM.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
bfocused said:
Maybe Focaltech can set us straight on this lifter issue. But, it is my understanding that the focus ztec engine uses the same set up as the VW engine. That is, it uses "pucks" or metal disc to gap the space between the cam lobe and the top of the valve. I remember the VW engine using disc of various thickness to set the proper valve lash. Some techie set me straight.
bfocused
what engine are you referring to? They have either mechanical or hydraulic lifters. This I know for a fact because I've had many many of them apart. Had a built ABA and 1.8 16v. The metal puck is really a hydraulic lifter...just an interface between the cam lobe and the valve stem. The look like little pucks, but they do more. The mechanical lifter setup is completely different though (though better for 7000+ RPM).

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was refering to the engine that was in the early 80's golf and rabbit. I was a parts manager at the time, and saw many heads replaced. As far as I remember the puck was between the cam lobe and the top of the valve stem. Adjusting the valves required replacing the pucks with different thicknesses. I think this engine was in the Dodge omni too.
Only mentioned this because I thought it odd to have lifters in an OHC engine. Thought that was the whole idea, to get rid of the push rod, rocker arm and lifter set up

But I am far from an expert, no motor head here lol , but body work, thats my specialty.
bfocused

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After talking with a friend of mine who knows more about these engines than I do, I am lead to believe it is the fuel injectors as sudgalvas mentioned. I plan to take it to Ford to confirm this though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I only got 74 miles and I hear that too. It's barely audible though. My old ZX3 had that noise comin from the tranny. It was much louder though. The dealership gave me the "nothing we can do about it" response.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Well, the pushrods are something of the old school, which is obviously still used today. Lifters are still used though, because you need something to take up the slop between the cam and the valve stem. The pucks you were referring to were used to compensate for increased valve lash, so you would adjust them. For example, in a mechanical lifter engine, you would be able to adjust the clearance between the cam and lifter/rocker/whatever your design incorporates when you hear that 'ticking' sound. Ticking meant that there was too much clearance...but you also wouldn't want too little clearance for fear of burning valves seats.. With hydraulic lifters, no adjustment is ever needed unless they go bad...then you just get new lifters. Most cam manufacturers recommend replacing the lifters when doing a new cam.

BTW, to the original postee, sorry. Didn't mean to jack the thread.[:)]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The noise may very well be those fuel injectors. This seems to be a common noise for the Focus - a lot of people seem to be mistaking it for something serious that needs attention. I know on mine, the injectors are VERY loud. I can hear them tick-tick-ticking away any time I'm near a wall and sitting at idle. The easiest and most obvious way to check is to improvise a stethoscope and listen to the injectors and the area around them, if it's the injectors ticking it should be fairly obvious...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't think you were jacking the thread at all. Adding good tech is always appreciated...thanks for the contribution (and setting the record straight). [;)]

·
Registered
412 Posts
essveetee
Thank you for your insight. It's folks like you that make being part of this forum a joy. You never flame, berate or talk down when answering a question. (I may have to change my vote on the FF personality poll) lol
Really thanks.....................
bfocused

·
Registered
10 Posts
yep, i think ive got the same problem. It kinda bothers me, changed my oil and filter and the noise is still there, 5w-30 mobil oil, and motorcraft400s filter. I can hear it in the car at idle if i listen for it. Same thing loudest when cold quieter but still audible when warm. I just got mine with 17.5 k on it and it makes me nervous. I dont know if this car will be as reliabe as my old Probe. I loved that beast

·
Registered
10 Posts
let us know when you take it to the dealer and they tell you what the noise is

1 - 20 of 27 Posts