Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just recently got a pioneer headunit from a friend, i had an alpine before and now i have massive engine noise, i know i wired everything correctly. i grounded both the ipod box and the headunit to the chassis and not the engine ground, i have all my amps grounded. even with the headunit off i get some pretty bad noise, but it is super loud with it on, it is absolutely annoying and prolly not good for my speakers. please help.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
what size ground wires are you using?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for the amps or the engine?

the 4 channel amp would be 4 gauge ground and the sub amp would be like a 10 gauge. the engine grounds are stock.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well, I'd venture to guess that deck isn't the problem since it happens when the deck is off. However, no harm in swapping them out to see if the problem stays with the deck. If it still happens with the alpine, disconnect amps and see if the problem goes away.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok sounds good, i will try that, the noise is less with the deck off, its just really loud and annoying with it on

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any other suggestions????

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hmm.. the only time I had a pioneer deck the antenna wasn't plugged in properly and that caused me to get noise.

Test your ground from the deck(s)?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how would i test it. everything is hooked up correctly, god this pisses me off, absolutely worst noise.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That I don't know. I'm installing my first aftermarket HU into the focus tomorrow so I'll get to check out the wiring then. I was just basing it of the other HU's I installed back when I had the Sunfire, Cavi, and Mustang. Maybe someone else here has some ideas..

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok sounds good, let me know.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had to put in a ground loop isolater the ones with a ground and it took all noise out of my system.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are the amps on when the deck is off? What kind of speakers are you running? Passive crossovers cab pick-up noise with the stereo off but that's the only thing I could think of unless the amps are on while the deck is off. If so it sounds like a ground loop.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the amps only turn on when the deck does. i have mb quart components.

·
Registered
228 Posts
besthaticouldo said:
the amps only turn on when the deck does. i have mb quart components.
If the cd is off and the amps are off, the only thing that can cause the noise would be the passive crossovers. did you have the quarts with the alpine?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea, theyve been in the whole time.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
turns out that my speaker amp was fried and allowing noise thru it. so i am gonna get a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts