Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the steering rack replaced under warrenty. After the work was done there is more engine noise in the cabin. The dealer I went to has a very good staff and has been very helpful and polite. They went throught the car for two days and everything is in place. I can live with the noise but not the "whistling" that comes from the engine when I am between 65 and 85 especially when under a load, like passing. I am sure that it is intake related. Has anybody else had this noise problem? Could the air filter be causing this whistling noise? I really like my focus but it is so annoying to have this problem.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Turn the stereo up !!!

Just kidding, check for a small air leak somewhere on the intake to be making the noise. Is the intake stock?? Or aftermarket?? Also, check right where the hose goes into the intake ( if it is stock )horn on the front core support, the hose sometimes comes loose.

Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and glad to be here! And yes i did turn up the tunes! It is a stock intake and I'll check out the fittings. I love the car and hope to get this all ironed out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
For grins and giggles, did you check your power steering fluid? Maybe they didn't fill it back up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
if you're going 65-85 shouldn't the cabin be noisy?? Foci are notorious for noisy cabins esp. at those speeds, unless it is really a new sound and sounds strange at that. i would check things out, but i usually disregard noises at that speed...def check intake if you think theres a leak, then again if its a bad leak it would throw a code soon, so i would say nothin huge to worry about

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definately a new noise after the work and it's not the power steering unit. It made that noise right before I took it in for the rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think so. The shop says everything is ok. There is a little gap around the steering shaft, but the shop says that is normal. Something about there is a seal there just doesn't look like it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"There is a little gap around the steering shaft, but the shop says that is normal."

Compare it to a new Focus on the dealer's floor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts