Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if there is a real difference between the mac tranny mount and the VF engineering one, cuz the mac one is a lot cheaper. just wonderin if it's "cheaper" or are u just payin for the VF name

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The mac one isnt billit. They both do the same thing.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I got the same question.
Any chance some here has used them both and takes preference for one of them?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I have only used the VF engineering rear mount so far, but I love it... you can definately feel the difference... I would reccomend the VF mount, and it's only about 100 bucks, not too bad.

·
Registered
464 Posts
WickedlyFastST said:
I have only used the VF engineering rear mount so far, but I love it... you can definately feel the difference... I would reccomend the VF mount, and it's only about 100 bucks, not too bad.

did you install it or take it somewhere? i have an 05 and im guessing it would work on mine?! i read that "takes 10-15 minutes" but i got to thinking wouldnt you have to rasie the engine or something!?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
apparently the MAC one has broken on a few people, but for most folks its just a matter of preference. The reason why the inserts don't work well, is the tranny side of the mount doesn't have a mating surface surrounding the entire bushing, only about 1/3rd of it. That allows the bushing to slip out and get destroyed.

However, you can solve that problem by adding a few washers to the equation. I put one washer behind each bracket bolt (between the brasket and the tranny) That spaced the bracket out enough to allow me to add a large washer to protect the bushing. Here's a few pics to show.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if there are times when the mac one broke on people i dunno if i'd like to take a chance

·
Registered
464 Posts
damnit i already bought the mac one two days ago....................

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Eric D said:
damnit i already bought the mac one two days ago....................
why are you disappointed without having the product installed first, and done a trial run?

My mount has been installed for over a year, and never had any problems, even survived an accident where the passanger side mount moved 1.25"

I am sure you will love the MAC.

·
Registered
464 Posts
well yea im sure i will love it too. haha its just the fact that supposedly it has broken on some people. ya know? the only time i have heard a big BANG or loud SNAP was when i was going say about 40 and downshifted to 2nd. ive only downshifted like that twice and coincidentally ive only heard that banging those two times. also ive read it kinda crisp-ens up your shifts. so im pretty excited to get it installed. i was under my car the other day cutting off that weird plastic lip under the car, and i noticed the mount only has two bolts. will anything bad happen if i over torque it? cause supposedly its supposed to be at 35ftlbs?? right? wrong?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
not intending to scare you... if you aren't running a lot of mods, or forced induction, I think it will be fine with either one

·
Registered
464 Posts
ahh tahts good to hear. just the basics here intake and exhaust. headers sometimes soon...........

·
Registered
464 Posts
so i was talking to my friend about this and he was saying by putting in this newer mount it will make the other ones wear out faster. and by "wear out" how soon do you guys think that is? any guesses?!?!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I put mine on 25000 miles ago.... no problems with the other ones

·
Registered
464 Posts
so i just recived my MAC mount today in the mail. just the mount no directions haha. i k now its just two bolts. the only thing im wondering is if there is any torque spec for it? im guessing i just tighten it as much as i can with the socket wrench. is there any tips i should know about before i go tackle those two bolts!? haha

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
cruzstyle said:
yes i agree if theres a bolt in the middle how are the "slipping out". it the bolt braking?
no,

Rubber (or polyurethane), being the plyable substance it is, moves when force is applied to it. since only one third of the area it can move to is covered by a solid object (namely the transmission) it still has about 270 degrees of free space it can slide into.

Since under stress, the material becomes pressurized, this free space becomes a likely target for the rubber to move to.. we call that a basic law of physics... higher pressure seeks lower pressure.

The bolt doesn't have to break.. once the pressure on the bushing exceeds the bushings natural tendency to stay put, out it pops onto the free space.

Thats why I added that gold washer you see in the pics above, it removes the area of free space, and thereby doesn't allow the bushing the ability to escape under pressure... it just has to sit there and take it like a man! [:p]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts