Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just joined the forum because I'm not having a lot of luck finding anything helpful on Google.

I just had my 2014 Focus towed to the dealer on Wednesday because of the TCM issue that these cars have. The transmission quit on me at a red light and my OBD scanner said it was U0101 for TCM, so I dropped it off at the nearest dealership for the warranty fix.

It's been about a week now with no update from them about that, but today I got a text message from the service center saying that the tech wants to replace my engine mount (didn't say which one, but I assume passenger side). They are trying to get ~$400 from me for it, too.

My car only has somewhere around 90,000 miles, and I've never noticed any abnormal vibrations or sounds while driving or stopped at intersections, so I don't know what they are seeing at the dealership. In addition, the car isn't even that old, so the engine mounts going out already seems fishy to me!

Is this something I should legitimately be concerned about, or are they just trying to get some money for their labor since it was only brought in for a warranty issue? TIA

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

My passenger side motor mount was shot at around 90k miles too. This is a common issue with this car, but overall a cheap/easy/minor thing to fix. If you're not having any abnormal vibrations (you should hear the rattling of the plastic in the gauge cluster and/or the headliner), then you may not need to replace it. There are other threads that detail how to check and replace the mount. The part itself is usually around $90 from the dealer, and maybe an hour in your garage (if that's your thing). $400 sounds like a ripoff to me. If the mount is dead and does need to be replaced, and you don't want to do it yourself, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere, closer to the $200 mark for the part and labor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum!

My passenger side motor mount was shot at around 90k miles too. This is a common issue with this car, but overall a cheap/easy/minor thing to fix. If you're not having any abnormal vibrations (you should hear the rattling of the plastic in the gauge cluster and/or the headliner), then you may not need to replace it. There are other threads that detail how to check and replace the mount. The part itself is usually around $90 from the dealer, and maybe an hour in your garage (if that's your thing). $400 sounds like a ripoff to me. If the mount is dead and does need to be replaced, and you don't want to do it yourself, I'd be inclined to look elsewhere, closer to the $200 mark for the part and labor.
That's what I was seeing, too, but for the older models, so I wasn't sure if it was still a problem with the newer models.

That is what I was thinking as well. I've never had a motor mount fail (that I know of), but I know it should be a noticeable rattle, and I haven't been seeing that at all! I guess when I get out of class I will call my local mechanic and get a quote for them to replace it, just so I know how much the dealership is overcharging (if at all!).

I'm not opposed to doing it myself if I need to, either.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
This^^^^ The psm is a typical part that needs replaced......btw use a Ford one only...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local shop quoted me $210 (or less) for the parts and labor, which is about 50% of the cost the dealership quoted. I guess I will (hopefully) pick up the car today, and look at the mount this weekend and go from there. The last thing I want is to drop 400 more dollars on this, since I've been renting a car for the past week!

·
Registered
275 Posts
The hardest part is removing the felt liner. Replaced the water pump this weekend.

Simple DIY. Below vid is for water pump, but involves removing PSMount.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Like said, you really want a Ford branded part there, if aftermarket is used they often do much worse and fail much faster. One of the few parts you need to buy from Ford, and I am not big on them at all.

I would not be changing it myself until you feel something wrong, the dealers commonly tell you things you need to change out of the blue as they are trying to bump up shop profits. They are often right but commonly tell you to change a part that has years left on it if they see even the slightest thing wrong there.

·
Registered
871 Posts
$400 is nuts. My passenger mount failed at ~100K miles. The Ford part is ~$70 from online dealers, and it's a relatively simple job.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My local shop quoted me $210 (or less) for the parts and labor, which is about 50% of the cost the dealership quoted.
Make sure your shop is using the Ford part.

I would not be changing it myself until you feel something wrong, the dealers commonly tell you things you need to change out of the blue as they are trying to bump up shop profits.
Pop the hood and give it a look. Mine was dumping fluid, so it was easy to see that it had failed...plus the vibration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure your shop is using the Ford part.

Pop the hood and give it a look. Mine was dumping fluid, so it was easy to see that it had failed...plus the vibration.
I asked about it specifically, and they said they would just have to order it from the dealer. The guy mentioned a motorcraft part originally, but I don't know what he was referring to over the phone. The big saving was labor. He said $90-130 for the part (depending on which one I want? I guess) and then $90 for labor instead of whatever craziness the dealer was quoting me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
He said $90-130 for the part (depending on which one I want? I guess) and then $90 for labor instead of whatever craziness the dealer was quoting me.
There is only Ford part number for your car. He's probably just giving you a range before looking up the price.

A pro mechanic can do this job quickly, but $90 is reasonable for labor.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The passenger only cost ~$30 to fix, it wasn't the whole assembly but the insert, just had to beat on it for a few minutes...

·
Registered
871 Posts
The passenger only cost ~$30 to fix, it wasn't the whole assembly but the insert, just had to beat on it for a few minutes...
A mechanic buddy and a few on here have said that the aftermarket insert is more shitty than the original mount. To each his own, but I went with the Ford part.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the OEM mount? After watching the video I'm definitely doing it myself... seems easy enough and I have the tools, so why not? Thanks for posting the video, Metalcrack!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the OEM mount? After watching the video I'm definitely doing it myself... seems easy enough and I have the tools, so why not? Thanks for posting the video, Metalcrack!
http://c-f-m.com.........

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bracket - Engine Front Support Part #: 6038
02/04/2013 - 10/09/2018, Focus (C346N), 2.0L I4 DI TIVCT Petrol 160PS, 5-Speed Manual Trans - MTX75
02/04/2013 - 10/09/2018, Focus (C346N), 2.0L I4 DI TIVCT Petrol 160PS, 6 Speed Auto Transmission DPS6, With Fuel Economy Pack
08/08/2011 - 02/04/2013, Focus (C346N), 2.0L I4 DI TIVCT Petrol 160PS
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/bracket-engine-front-support-6399935-1
Ford $88.17

1 - 18 of 18 Posts