Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a suite of gauges to better monitor my engine. The car is a SVT with Powerworks SC. I already have a boost gauge but want to add for sure a wideband AFR and oil pressure. Anything else that is vital to monitor? Should I look for an electric or mechanical oil pressure gauge? Are both as accurate? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I like electric gauges better. If you get one from a reliable company they are just as accurate as a mechanical, and safer to run.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I like an EGT as much as a wideband. It may not allow you to tune the car, but it sure will let you know when something is wrong, FAST.

Oil pressure is always a good idea. As above, if you buy good quality guages the electrical ones are fine.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Maybe a J&S gauge, but then you would need the J&S unit!

I like EGT and fuel pressure, I think the oil pressure gauge on the SVT is sufficient.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a J&S gauge, but then you would need the J&S unit!

I like EGT and fuel pressure, I think the oil pressure gauge on the SVT is sufficient.
Pretty much the only way I'll get a J&S is if I decide to go all out and/or be remote tuned by Tom because he requires it. Currently I'm just looking at some intake/exhaust flow upgrades for a modest power increase and a tune to improve upon my PW tune, especially cold weather performance without compromising safety.

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
I think EGT is something of a novelty. Good info...for sure. But if you are doing a WOT pull on the street the last thing you should be doing is staring at your EGT gauge. At least, thats my opinion. The essentials are boost and oil pressure. After that, a wideband is really nice to have. Suggest the AEM unit, and get the matching electric boost gauge (not the tru-boost but the boost-only variant). Slap those puppies on your steering column and put an oil pressure out of the way for glance-over-just-to-check purposes.

Also you MUST run an electrical oil pressure. A mechanical OP would have you running an oil line into the cabin which I highly disagree with!

Ninja edit - when installing the OP sender unit do NOT use brass fittings!! THEY WILL FATIGUE AND BREAK! ony up the cash and order stainless steel fittings. IIRC you need a 1/4" NPT nipple and tee for the OP low switch location.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think EGT is something of a novelty. Good info...for sure. But if you are doing a WOT pull on the street the last thing you should be doing is staring at your EGT gauge. At least, thats my opinion. The essentials are boost and oil pressure. After that, a wideband is really nice to have. Suggest the AEM unit, and get the matching electric boost gauge (not the tru-boost but the boost-only variant). Slap those puppies on your steering column and put an oil pressure out of the way for glance-over-just-to-check purposes.

Also you MUST run an electrical oil pressure. A mechanical OP would have you running an oil line into the cabin which I highly disagree with!

Ninja edit - when installing the OP sender unit do NOT use brass fittings!! THEY WILL FATIGUE AND BREAK! ony up the cash and order stainless steel fittings. IIRC you need a 1/4" NPT nipple and tee for the OP low switch location.
Good info....on the SVT I can tap in on that spot near the coil pack correct (for the oil pressure) I am definitely going with an electric unit. I'm thinking about modifying my cluster to accept two gauges where the SVT oil gauges are...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts