·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
intake, volant.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
How much do you want to spend ?

I'd go with new intake(Volant or Iceman) or Focus Central 65mm Throttle Body.

Either will run you about $200-275 shipped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah there really isn't a price range i'm lookin for cuz it's christmas time...So volant and iceman intakes are good, what abour AEM???I heard that they r good too??So what kind of exhaust should i get???

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
aem is alright, but you may get maf problems, rain/snow problems depending on the by-pass, and you can't use a 70mm maf with it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mass Airflow Sensor MAF
as opposed to a MAP sensor which is a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, People get confused sometimes :)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
the aem replaces the stock maf housing.

definately get the volant, best design, and upgradeable with the maf, fc ram air hood, and some custom work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
if it replaces the housing, why would you need to upgrade anyway? cause it looks like the housing is the same size diameter as the tube.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
the housing on a 70mm maf is a little bigger vs the aem tube. also, the sensor acts funny at times when its in a foreign housing, and third... its not just the size of the housing that helps but the sensor itself....

aftermarket mafs are used/calibrated when u get bigger injectors than the stockers if u want to make any real power and not just more 4 banger pep. the maf is more than just an air sensor in a plastic ring, its a critical part of your engine management system eh

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the Volant box design shields the intake from the engine heat and a snorkel or tube coming from the airbox runs along side the fender and down. The theory is that this allows it to draw cooler air coming in and up from beneath the engine compartment rather than hot air from within the engine compartment. There is often an argument as to whether this is a true CAI or not as it does not actually pull air completely from outside the engine compartment. Many CAI's actually install below or outside of the engine compartment thus eliminating all hot engine air from the intake. Drawbacks to some CAI systems however is they may draw in moisture from rain, snow etc. and damage the engine.

You can look at pictures of the Volant installed on many of the sites which sell them and get a better idea of how/where they get their air from. You may check and see, I don't know if Volant has a web site or not. I have a K&N FIPK intake right now but I am saving up to replace it with a Volant.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
the volant seals right up against the hood, the only air getting in the box is through the snorkel, and the second runner on the side, u can replace the hood with the focus central ram air hood and have it work perfectly together with the volant. when focus central designed the hood, they used a volant box. another popular upgrade is replacing the stock snorkel with the SVT snorkel for a larger pathway.

anyway, dont let word semantics get to u. just get the best design, which IMO is the volant.

·
Registered
456 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts