Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got oil changed today and around 15 miles later the car started to sputter and lose power. Managed to get it off the highway and the oil change company to send someone out. Turned out to be something they may have touched, but my guess is not the root cause of.

Problem: After car was stopped, attempts to restart the engine resulted in no sound whatsoever. Ended up finding that there was a cut wire at the top left side of the engine that looked like it was grounded to the vehicle, and the engine management 20A fuse was blown.

Solution attempt #1: Crimped the damaged wire back together and replaced fuse. Attempted to start the car and the engine turned over but then the engine management fuse blew again.

Solution attempt #2: Disconnected the wire from the tiny box it was attached to and replaced with another fuse, on this attempt the car started and made it all the way home.

So, any ideas what the wire I disconnected does? Initial searches say it's a RF suppressor? But on the way home I noticed no extra radio noise at any speeds. Is it possible that this wire is the cause of the fuse being blown? Or did I just run into an extra sensitive fuse on the replacement that blew? Attached are pictures of the areas in question. (if I can figure out how)

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
401 Posts
the same thing happened to me on my st.the shielding on the wire peeled back and caused the wire to short against my strut bar so what i did was i chopped it ran heat shrink thru it re soldered it and shrunk the heat shrink over the wire after that no more issues.i to was freaking out.lol

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yes it is the suppressor. IMHO, yes you need it. What happened >> Due to the placement, it is very easy to 'catch' this wire, so the oil change tech def is at fault.
If it grounds, it will cause the fuse to blow.
So what could happen if I don't replace it. >> This device protects your ECU from noise created by the COP's. Order on ASAP from your dealer and charge the oil change joint.
Note: It's a suppressor, but that is not the official name. If you need that I will have to find it in the book. Although I doubt your dealer will need that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts