Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an engine stand and engine hoist for my built SVT engine.
It has the 6 spd getrag transmission bolted to it if that makes a difference.

I have no idea how much they weigh. Anyone know?

Can someone recommend a good engine stand and hoist that is
reasonably priced but of good quality and works for my application?

Thanks in advance!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
love the usernames.

Yeah that one should do well.... I know I picked up a 350 sbc with accessories and a transmission attached to it still and it didn't fail. SVT and getrag shouldn't be an issue since they're more compact that the combo I used.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see a Pittsburgh engine stand or hoist listed on harbor freight's website.
Do you have a link? So I need a 1000lb capacity, or 750lb?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
this is the exact one we use at work.... the pressure valve got messed up on ours so it creeps down slowly over time unless you crank it tight but it was fine before. (this is why you don't leave it open)

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

as far as the stand, I would at least recommend the 4 wheel stand. 3 wheeled ones seem to have a tendency to tip over. this one may work but I've never used it

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32916.html

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike! I have a harbor freight less than 20 min from my house.
I will probably go check those 2 items out tomorrow. I appreciate the help.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
sure no problem... thank Chistopher for the harbor freight idea though, Im sure we're thinking of the same thing. I just happened to have their site open on the next tab over :).

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
diirc on my old harbor freight engine stand you had to take the trans off the motor because the mounting holes for the block where where you bolted it to the stand. not sure if a 4 cyl would be any diffrent all i ever had on it was a couple small block chevys and a dodge 360

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again. Went up to the local harbor freight and bought those 2 items Mike linked to.
Also got a 3/4 ton load leveler, and a 3 year warranty on the hoist.

LET THE BUILT SVT ENGINE SWAP BEGIN! Its going in my sedan for those of you who don't know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks again. Went up to the local harbor freight and bought those 2 items Mike linked to.
Also got a 3/4 ton load leveler, and a 3 year warranty on the hoist.

LET THE BUILT SVT ENGINE SWAP BEGIN! Its going in my sedan for those of you who don't know.
Oh I know. I'm still waiting to see this build finished.

I thought it was Pittsburgh but those are the ones I was thinking of. We locals have been using those two for all the engine swaps.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice. I need to post progress pics, i finally cleaned up the exterior after years of dust settled on it. LOL!

I'm hoping to get the built engine on the new stand tomorrow. Pics will follow if I do.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet! Your engine stand looks just like mine except the orange and black are flip-flopped.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
is it just my phone or is that a honda fit? lol.

good... just watch the pressure valve. I know I already said that but today I snapped off both sides of it so its just a round knob now. pliers or vice grips still work fine but yeah.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts