Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my car only does this every once in a great while but it has me worried. I'll be driving along, going the speed limit (about 40 usually) and all the sudden its like my car tries shut off. No lights, and I'm not by any means pushing it. It only lasts for a split second and then it goes back to normal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have experienced the same thing, only happens for a split second also. Has happened to me at different speeds , even just starting off. I have a 05 ST 2.3.
Not sure if it has gone away, but since I installed the stealth CAI, it has not happened in 3 weeks. Some people on the ST post suggested to get a ECU reflash, been working every day, so have not had a chance to try that, so don't know if it will help.
If it happens again, I will take a day off and get that done, but like I said, has not happened since the CAI install.
I would suggest get a ECU reflash and see if that helps...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Yeah you have the same car as me. I wonder if I take it up to the dealership if they'll flash it since it's still under warranty??

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
That they will. There's been quite a bit of discussion on the symptom you've described, along with a hard start/long cranking issue. There are TSBs for both I believe, and a reflash should take care of the problem. It did for mine. Good luck, and welcome to FF by the way !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I think I might take it up there tomorrow then. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same thing happens with mine intermittently. For mine, it can happen in any gear. When I'm in a lower gear, you feel the cut-off pretty badly. I called the Ford dealership when it first happened and they did not believe me. [rolleyes] If there's a TSB, does anybody know the number?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, mine did it again today and I was going 25 in 4th gear...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
25 in 4th gear?!?![ohcrap] I did that and the car felt like it was gonna die, meaning it was doing a real jerky motion because of the bogging....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car didn't feel like it was going to die. If I go any farther over 25 in 3rd my stupid shift light keeps coming on. Seems like it wants me to shift if I hold anything over 2k rmps for very long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ignore that shift light, it always comes on at a low RPM if you are not giving it much gas. Not sure but I believe it must work off the vacuum somehow. If you go over 2500 RPM or so (or give it more gas) it will go out and come back on somewhere around 5000 RPM.
Just ignore it though and shift where you want to for the power you want/need, of course not going over around 6000RPM or so. I believe redline is 6750 for our cars.

Check out the Hard starting thread and the TSB should be listed in there, at least i think that is where I saw it last...

Are you stationed in OK city or is that just where you are from? Reason I ask is I work with the OK city Marine reserve and at Ft Sill for the Army....

Good luck on getting your PCM reflashed, I need to take mine in, just need a day off so I can do it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm stationed here in OKC at Tinker AFB. Been in the AF for going on 5 years now...all at Tinker...trying to leave here...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck on getting to another base, 5 years at one base is a long time....

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
at leat your not at shaw its the black home of america. and the shift light is ran off your computer so depending on how u are driving your car it will try to find the best shift points to save u gas thats all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts