Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 focus svt 76,000 miles. Recently replaced: Alternator, timing belt, water pump, tune up, and some other goodies.

So the car would only start with a bump start, battery checked out fine so I replaced the starter. I must have screwed up a wire because when I put it back together the gauges were going back and fourth like crazy. My dad took it apart and back together again, and it stopped that but was running rough. I tightened the manifold clamps and it started up and ran normally. Power was fine, took it out for about a mile spin.

2 codes popped up. 02 sensor and knock sensor. When I parked it the ground wire running from the block to the frame on the passenger side went up in smoke, and the car died, probably after it burnt through. Pulled all the fuses everything checked out okay, put another ground strap in it and the problem still persists. Also now I have a dead battery.

Havent crawled under to check the knock sensor. Everything to me seems to be put in the proper place, but obviously something is wrong. Any ideas on whats going on?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Yeah, you have a significant short somewhere. Hard to trace since you have so many variables. The two codes you have might not necessarily be clues to where the short is because the ECU freaks out when it has voltage problems. Your alternator cable could be the culprit, but who knows. It's gonna suck, but you're just gonna have to go through there with a fine-tooth comb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you have a significant short somewhere. Hard to trace since you have so many variables. The two codes you have might not necessarily be clues to where the short is because the ECU freaks out when it has voltage problems. Your alternator cable could be the culprit, but who knows. It's gonna suck, but you're just gonna have to go through there with a fine-tooth comb.
Thanks for the input dude. This wire stuff is just not for me. Alternator has a new pigtail, and all that wiring looks fine. It may be time to just let a shop handle this headache. I cant swallow my pride and let them handle it though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts