Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
On Monday my Focus also displayed the Engine Fault, Service Engine Now alarm. Called the Ford roadside service and they picked up the car and took it to the dealer. The car sat for a day and when the dealer started it the message no longer appeared.The Tech took the car home yesterday to see if he experienced any problems, of course there were none. Over night Monday there was a thunderstorm with a lightning bolt striking nearby. Would that have affected anything? In addition I've noticed a lag in the acceleration in that the car reacts a second or so after I push on the pedal at steep hills. Does any of this tie together. The dealer has not given up however the car provides no clues. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
On Monday my Focus also displayed the Engine Fault, Service Engine Now alarm. Called the Ford roadside service and they picked up the car and took it to the dealer. The car sat for a day and when the dealer started it the message no longer appeared.The Tech took the car home yesterday to see if he experienced any problems, of course there were none. Over night Monday there was a thunderstorm with a lightning bolt striking nearby. Would that have affected anything? In addition I've noticed a lag in the acceleration in that the car reacts a second or so after I push on the pedal at steep hills. Does any of this tie together. The dealer has not given up however the car provides no clues. Any thoughts?
I don't think the lightning strike would've done anything unless it actually hit your car or SUPER close to it. The delay in acceleration is actually pretty normal for this transmission; you just have to be 1 step ahead (knowing when you'll need to downshift) like when driving a manual.

The engine fault is definitely not normal. The fact that it went away sounds like a bad TCM to me, but it could also be a multitude of things (like the wiring harness issue) and now that there aren't any codes, it will be tougher to diagnose. I'd keep pressing the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Good suggestions.

We've seen a few cases where the code(s) disappear for these problems once the car is shut off. If it's a one time thing, not so bad. If it repeats, you've got troubles needing a fix.

Some have needed to take it direct to a Dealership for code reading WHILE STILL RUNNING to help with diagnostics & get a repair. I'd suggest this if at all possible should it repeat with a running car.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hello Scott U,

I'm Todd, and I'll be helping Meagan out on the forums for a spell.

I'm glad you were able to get your Ford Dealer involved early. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and dealer name; I'll look into next steps on my end.

Todd

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Is there a way to reset this code? Engine fault service now????????
If anything, I think you WANT that code for proper diagnostics. Simply clearing the code isn't going to fix whatever problem you're having...

·
Registered
30 Posts
FYI, my car had the same code, and would not turn over but all electrics were fine. They replaced the TCM (the only electronic part that's warranteed), and it's all good, never had any issues since... They couldn't figure it out, sent all kinds of notes to Ford tech, and finally narrowed it to this. Lacombe AB Ford is the best!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
looks like my ford focus 2014 S is haivng the same issue its sitting at the ford dealership as they can't look at it till next week but with it being fairly young my guess is the harness which is covered under the recall correct?

·
Registered
26 Posts
looks like my ford focus 2014 S is haivng the same issue its sitting at the ford dealership as they can't look at it till next week but with it being fairly young my guess is the harness which is covered under the recall correct?

Just heard back from the dealer it's a wiring issue sounds like the wiring harness spoke with the dealer and ford.both.stated due to my Vin not being on the recall list I'll have to pay for the repair pretty disappointing news.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I had a engine fault pop up on the 2016 ford focus I used as a company vehicle . Any way that it can be realated to a oil change issue? Most I been reading was it was a TCM issue from others stating the same experience Ive had with the car.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hello, I had a engine fault pop up on the 2016 ford focus I used as a company vehicle . Any way that it can be realated to a oil change issue? Most I been reading was it was a TCM issue from others stating the same experience Ive had with the car.
Have you had the fuel system recall done? Has the TCM been replaced and/or the software updated since you bought it (new, I assume)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did have codes read from autozone showing a possible fuel pump/ vacuume issue as a code pop up. Had the same issue twice first time they just reset the pcm from the dealer and now second time they say the whole engine needs replaced...and turbo ...which then I get a termination notice from employer saying it was due to missing oil change intervals by a few thousand miles...but everyones posts on here that have the same issue never once said it was due to oil changes..so not sure if im getting screwed by the dealer or my ex employer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our car is doing the same thing now it wontbstart we replaced the battery with a new one. Now it says engine on but it's not then hill street not working then it blinks 8 times then nothing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2018 Focus se 1.o automatic. Driving to work, lost power, oil and battery light came on. Pulled over waited a few, tried to restart,it did for 2 seconds then shut off with same lights and same service engine now message. Car has 27,000 miles ,is services regularly, and has been running perfectly. No noises or performance issues. Anybody?????

21 - 35 of 35 Posts