Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know whats the safest type of cleaners to use under the hood and what stuff you can use to detail after you clean, to make like all the hoses shiney and the valve cover shine etc? Im trying to do this today so I need quick ideas

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I normally cover up my intake and wires with a plastic bag and clean out everything with soap and a small towel. Then gently rinse everything off and dry it with a large cotton towel.

Then I would spray Armorall on a towel and wipe all the rubber parts down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes simple green is the best shit you can use on your engine. I live by that stuff, and to shine i use super blue from kunkels automotive store or tire wet from eagle one. Eagle one makes both but if you can get super blue its WAY better

·
Registered
892 Posts
I use cheap tireshine from Autozone. Its a silicone foam, doesnt hurt anything. Spray it on, let it sit about 5 minutes then wipe it off with a clean dry towel. I do it every 2 or 3 months. Makes all the wires and hoses nice and shiny.

Ive been doing this for years with no ill effects.

·
Registered
52 Posts
gunk makes "foamy engine bright" that`s made just for this. spray everything down, wait 5 or 10 minutes, hose off with a garden hose, let air dry. been using it for years, i don`t cover anything up. so easy to use.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
only thing I cover is my intake (makes sense), if you use simple green or anything that you buy in the concentrated form (I use that orange cleaner stuff) make sure you check to see if you need to dilute it for aluminum. Otherwise it will oxidize the hell out of it. I'm not a big fan of fake shine so I use 303 Protectant, its a UV/Weather protectant for plastic, silicones and what not, I get it from www.topoftheline.com they have alot of really nice stuff.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I always pay to have my engine bay cleaned professionally. Where I live they don't even let you change your own oil so for me its less of a hassle to have it done and the place that I've gone too is reasonable and very very good[thumb]

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Simple Green works good on cold motors with cold water. If left on hot metal it will dull the finish and make it look "powdery". This happens more on unpolished aluminum like cast intakes etc. I've had moderate to good luck with orange citrus cleaners as well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wow voortrek3, that sucks. I would go CRAZY if I couldn't change my own oil or clean my own engine. Not only is it cheaper, but if I screw something up I KNOW who to blame!![hihi]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts