Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on parts cheap they have the Engine cover for the 2012 Focus. does anyone who purchased this afterwards notice a sound difference?

i am trying to get my car to not be so loud

·
Registered
16 Posts
An engine cover will not make any difference on the amount of sound you hear from the engine. A hood blanket may help though, I'm not sure if they make them for the '12.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just going off what the parts cheap website says...

"Ford Focus OEM Engine Cover - 2012 2.0L Duratec: Clean up your Focus's engine bay with this Ford OEM Engine Cover. Features the 2.0L Duratec logo. Backside of the engine cover is insulated with padded sound dampening material, has been reported to quiet down the engine during cold starts and overall driving."

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Are brand new focus' that loud? But yeah, the hood blanket prolly does more to reduce sound. I know when I took mine off the engine was noticebly louder.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There is a pad under the hood on my car. An SE.
Someone else has said the engine cover makes the engine noises louder.
The engine is really quiet anyway IMO.
When i changed the air filter to the K&N, engine noise grew a little, but i wanted that so i can shift by ear..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
while its not necessarily my engine that is loud, i just find it over all noisy when driving. anything i can do to lower the noise levels i will.

I know that Tony407 was having issues with his being very loud as well. People who i talk to over bluetooth constantly complain about road noise in the background.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's strange that your Focus is loud during normal driving conditions, the quietness in the cabin, when compared to other compacts, was one of the reason I bought my new focus. As far as the engine noise I guess it is a little loader than its imported Asian counterparts, but I kinda like that more throaty sound. You could always try putting dynomat in the doors to reduce road noise and as an added benefit you get better sound quality out of your door speakers.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
An engine cover will not make any difference on the amount of sound you hear from the engine.
Are you saying that the sound absorbing material under the engine cover doesn't actually absorb any sound?

Please elaborate.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I didn't say it wouldn't absorb any noise, I said it won't make a difference.
That's contradictory. If it's absorbing sound than it's making a difference.

...not rocket science... common sense...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
There are two different things being written about in here.
The Ti engine 'cover' and/or the padding under the hood.

The TI engine cover is the thing that doesn't make any difference in engine noise (IMO. and in fact has beeen said to make noise louder)
The padding under the hood may help too. Usually the padding is to also protect the paint from heat damage...

The engine cover is pretty mediocre looking IMO. (It is no BMW cover...)
And I can see why they dumped it. (if it looked cool i might flip for it, but it is dismal)

Personally i would find a way to make the rubber shield at the rear of the engine bay wider. It does not cross he entire hood. (and adding some padding to the area around the underhood air passenger cabin intakes might help with noise. That plastic is just there with no noise reduction. Plenty of stuff could be used.
also the front rubber hood/frame seal.. (but that may be on purpose?)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
interesting u guys find the engine noisy... i wouldn't say it's the quietest engine on the block but i find it much, much quieter than the engine in my '01 zx3. Granted, at idle u can hear it a bit but once underway i find it acceptably quiet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's contradictory. If it's absorbing sound than it's making a difference.

...not rocket science... common sense...

No its not. It will dampen noise because it has padding, yes. It will not make a difference in the amount of noise you hear inside the car. Because its on top of the engine. The engine noise you hear in the car is coming through the firewall and the hood. So unless this engine cover covers your entire engine bay (which I guess it doesn't) the noise of the engine will not be any less inside the car.

Again its not rocket science.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Makes the engine bay look really neat. And it does help to make the engine quieter specially at cold start time. I've had it off and you do hear more noise in the morning.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DI engines are always noisier than port-injected motors because of the higher fuel pressures they run. Ever wonder why there's a 1"-thick foam pad covering the high-pressure fuel pump? Shit's noisy. It's more noisy on cold starts because the engine uses extra fuel to burn a little richer and heat up the cats more quickly for emissions.

That being said, this is a very quiet engine, especially for DI. Unless the engine cover has a decent amount of sound-absorbing padding underneath, you may not notice a difference from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My SEL has padding on the hood and I just installed the engine cover last week. I don't really notice a big difference in noise during start-up. It's definitely NOT louder. I just don't think it makes enough difference to say for certain if it's quieter. I'd probably have to try if off, then back on to see.

I ordered the engine cover from PartsCheap.com. $64 + shipping.

It comes with the 4 mount posts (2 tall, 2 short). You'll use all 4 and although there are no instructions where to put them it's easy to figure out where they go.

TIP: Use one of the short black mounting posts for the center bolt.

http://www.partscheap.com/2012-Ford-Focus-Engine-Cover-2-0L-Duratec-p/cp9z-6a949-a.htm

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have an engine cover i bought off FSWerks and i put the dynamat stuff for deadening the doors and panels for bass vibration.

I dont mind the sound of the enigne, its just injector noise.

I like the look of the FSwerks cover better then that big ass plastic one. THe FSwerks one sits right ontop of the injectors where most of the noise is.

07 ZX3 Dtec 2.0

Cheap sound dampening stuff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts