Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I'd rather have a good looking cast aluminum cam cover than a plastic engine cover to hide the plastic cam cover. If the engine cover blocks any unpleasant sounds I guess it might be worthwhile. Also good for keeping dirt off things now that I've gotten more lazy about cleaning.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Makes for a slick looking engine bay:

This engine bay is nice if you are looking for a OEM, clean look.....but it's boring to me, IMO, I want to see chrome, bling, some performance parts hopefully.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bout for my '14 Titanium HB. Will look good with the Steeda CAI and redline elite hood struts. No need for me to paint. Mine is black on black anyway.

·
Registered
952 Posts
you can order this straight from ford? i do not understand why they dont just give you the cover with the car.
Theory has it they came on the earliest builds but the engine doesn't take heat very well and the covers may have been compounding the issue. They also catch a lot of debris underneath them that gets stuck between the plug covers.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got one to help with the drone of this loud engine. It helps a little bit.

Shoot, my maxima was one big plastic sheet under the hood!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just thought I should leave my experience. Probably good information for 2015+ owners. Sorry it's kinda long for what it is, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

I drive a 2017 SEL. I installed the engine cover last Friday. Looks great, definitely cleans up the engine bay. However, the fitment is just a little bit off. This is just my best guess, but the brake fluid reservoir sticks out a little bit more on the newer models or the engine is placed slightly further back in the engine bay. This results in the engine cover pushing up ever-so-slightly on the brake fluid reservoir (I'm talking approx. <5mm), EVEN THOUGH the reservoir is shaped with grooves on the underside which I'm guessing is exactly for this purpose (check out the pics below). Anyway, when the engine is running there is significant vibration on the cover. And because the cover is pushing up on the reservoir, the vibration is translated heavily to the brake pedal, thus inside the cabin. Very much driveable, but it's quite unpleasant. I tested this out by having my little brother push down on the cover a smidge with the engine running, and the vibration disappeared immediately. I've tightened down the studs as much as humanly possible and I'm pretty sure the engine cover is not deformed or defective in any way. I believe it's a tolerance issue by the geniuses at Ford engineering/manufacturing.

Now, the obvious solution would be to make a small cutout on the corner edge of the cover. I don't really know how to go about this, and I don't a whole lot of tools handy. Any bright ideas?

IMG_1533.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg
IMG_1534.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought I should leave my experience. Probably good information for 2015+ owners. Sorry it's kinda long for what it is, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

I drive a 2017 SEL. I installed the engine cover last Friday. Looks great, definitely cleans up the engine bay. However, the fitment is just a little bit off. This is just my best guess, but the brake fluid reservoir sticks out a little bit more on the newer models or the engine is placed slightly further back in the engine bay. This results in the engine cover pushing up ever-so-slightly on the brake fluid reservoir (I'm talking approx. <5mm), EVEN THOUGH the reservoir is shaped with grooves on the underside which I'm guessing is exactly for this purpose (check out the pics below). Anyway, when the engine is running there is significant vibration on the cover. And because the cover is pushing up on the reservoir, the vibration is translated heavily to the brake pedal, thus inside the cabin. Very much driveable, but it's quite unpleasant. I tested this out by having my little brother push down on the cover a smidge with the engine running, and the vibration disappeared immediately. I've tightened down the studs as much as humanly possible and I'm pretty sure the engine cover is not deformed or defective in any way. I believe it's a tolerance issue by the geniuses at Ford engineering/manufacturing.

Now, the obvious solution would be to make a small cutout on the corner edge of the cover. I don't really know how to go about this, and I don't a whole lot of tools handy. Any bright ideas?
The same thing happened to me a few months ago. I have a 2013 SE, and I was getting "low brake fluid" messages every once in a while. Turns out I had a leaking resevoir that was replaced under warranty. However, they put in the new design which had a different shape than the older one and made my brake pedal vibrate like crazy. Took a dealership tech on a test drive to figure out what was wrong, and it turned out the resevoir was rubbing against my engine cover, much like in your picture. I asked them if they could trim the cover and it took them less than five mins. If you don't have the tools or ability to trim the cover yourself, I'd suggest going to a dealership and asking if they can do it. Show them how much you want trimmed, and it should take them hardly any time at all.

·
Registered
614 Posts
ill have to check mine....

·
Registered
26 Posts
The same thing happened to me a few months ago. I have a 2013 SE, and I was getting "low brake fluid" messages every once in a while. Turns out I had a leaking resevoir that was replaced under warranty. However, they put in the new design which had a different shape than the older one and made my brake pedal vibrate like crazy. Took a dealership tech on a test drive to figure out what was wrong, and it turned out the resevoir was rubbing against my engine cover, much like in your picture. I asked them if they could trim the cover and it took them less than five mins. If you don't have the tools or ability to trim the cover yourself, I'd suggest going to a dealership and asking if they can do it. Show them how much you want trimmed, and it should take them hardly any time at all.
So glad you replied. Thanks dude, I'll hit up the dealership tomorrow. [cheers]

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thank you rjhansen [:)][headbang][thumb]

I checked mine after work and Looking at the pics it's hard to see but the Brake reservoir is not only touching but actually resting on the back of the cover. It had already started to take paint off the engine cover! That was from only 1 day of driving.

I took it back to the shop and let them know what I found. They are going to fix it. It's not there fault, It's not my fault but, it's Ford's fault for making the change to the Brake Reservoir. [facepalm]

Please Check your Engine Cover and Brake Reservoir if you have I would say a 2015 thru 2018 Focus.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts