Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little urgent help with my 2.0 Zetec Manual. I drove my car up onto a sports playing field for a local street fair today, I was delivering some drinks to a stall the local Rotary club was putting on and I had to get my Focus up a 4 inch curb. I drove up slowly and then just as I touched the curb front on (both wheels directly facing the sidewalk) I gave it some revs and in first gear managed to get it up onto the sidewalk, wasn't violent and wasn't too fast.

As I pulled away along the grass afterwards I smelt the familiar burnt clutch smell which didn't bother me too much, I had to ride the clutch a fair bit to get it up without smashing my tyres.

What the problem is, half an hour later I got in to drive away from where I parked it and it started with a cough, idled lumpy at about 800rpm and shuddered a little every time I used the first 1000 rpm (from 800 to about 1800 rpm). What's more, it is slightly less responsive, farts a bit upon engine braking and has a very soft rattle under load. The most intriguing thing is it now sounds like I have installed a higher flow exhaust from the engine, it is meatier and deeper at low revs and sounds pretty alright, except I KNOW it's something wrong due to lumpy idle, loss of response and the dodgy noises. The engine is slightly louder and no longer really efined at low revs, but not too bad. I'm just not sure what I could have done to it. I dropped into a Ford dealer and t\being Sunday there was no service techs there, but the dealer played a bit with my throttle to check it out and looked under the car, said there were no scratches and nothign out of the ordinary, no leaks etc. I did the same at home 30 minutes latrer and still nothing, not a scratch and not a leak to be seen.

WTF have I done?!!!!! No contact but it sounds like someething might have loosened a seal or something. Could it be clutch related? I'm not expecting much of an answer, it's hard and I'll run it to a dealer for a major service this week anyway so it's all good. Just want to know if there's something I can do.

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The car is currently at the dealer so i will let you all know what exactly was wrong with it!!

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
You might have knocked a sensor off of the exhaust or pinched the exhaust or maybe seperated the exhaust at one of the junctions.

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought too until.....

I got back from uni today to a call that my car was ready, ALREADY!!! Only 24 hours they had the thing and it was done. The problem was a busted driver's side engine mount which not only explained why I was the only one really feeling the vibration, but why it was lumpy, rough and why the exhaust was struggling (added vibration around the joint). So it's onyl 6 months old, they replaced the mount without a hassle and it is running like a dream again. The 15,000km service made it tight as a drum and all is good back in my world again!!!! My baby is back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts