Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my coolant was a bit low, manual says to use WSS-M97B44 but any store I go to has oem ford coolant WSS-M97B51, are these two compatible? Should I top mine off with the WSS-M97B51?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I noticed my coolant was a bit low, manual says to use WSS-M97B44 but any store I go to has oem ford coolant WSS-M97B51, are these two compatible? Should I top mine off with the WSS-M97B51?
You need to use WSS-M97B44 which is more simply known as Motorcraft Orange. I buy it at the Ford dealer. It is available as a concentrate or 50/50 premix.

"Use when Ford Specifications WSS-M97B44-D2 or WSS-M97B44-D are specified
Do not mix different colors or types of coolant in your vehicle. Make sure the correct coolant is used. Mixing of engine coolants may harm your engine’s cooling system. The use of an improper coolant may harm engine and cooling system components and may void the warranty.
Do not use this product in systems originally equipped with the fluorescent green-colored Motorcraft® Premium Antifreeze/Coolant, meeting Ford Specification ESE-M97B44-A, or with the yellow-colored Motorcraft® Gold Antifreeze/Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51-A1, or with the dark green-colored Motorcraft® Specialty Green Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B55-A"

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This was the kind i bought.

So if it was topped off with a different coolant (1/16th) I should flush the system and fill it with the morotcraft orange fresh?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

So if it was topped off with a different coolant (1/16th) I should flush the system and fill it with the morotcraft orange fresh?
Yes. The pH may be different and damage the engine, pipe, etc. I would recommend to always use the OEM coolant. It's a very specific mixture... it's not like engine oil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also i believe if you are under warranty the ford dealer will top off the coolant for free. Atleast my dealer did a month or so after i purchased it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

If you haven't driven it yet, you can probably use a pump or turkey baster to empty the tank as best you can, then refill with correct type and amount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts