Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where the ECU is in the engine compartment (I know it's somewhere near the battery) if it can have a picture of the position or a shot ... So not the ECU in the cab on the passenger side but in the engine.

Does it regulate the operation of the alternator because I have a problem with varying the voltage on the circuit?

It is a Focus MK1 2002, 2.0 Zetec, Made in USA

Thanks in advance,
Miodrag, Serbia

·
FF Affiliate
30,510 Posts
The only PCM / ECU in the MK1 Focus is in the Pass kick panel and it does control the Alt , The PCM,ECU is rarely the cause of a Alt issue

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
What exactly is the voltage user the different times it varies?

Recently had the battery light going off in my vehicle, and found that someone had taken the wire from the battery and spliced a wire two gauges smaller into the alternator. It had a slight bit of burning. Don’t think this was a frangible fuse, which might not be the real name but is a normal gauge wire that steps down a couple of gauges to melt like a fuse where a fuse is not practical.

I put the correct gauge wire in and between that and the alternator, it fixed it. After seeing the wire burnt, I wonder if the alternator was even necessary.

·
Registered
15,788 Posts
Maybe not, there can be several fixes to fix a light for that if one knows what to do. FYI, even the OEM wiring to alt commonly melts, you do well to go even bigger. The starter to battery cable that includes that wire run has caused fires before when it melts to sometimes catch on fire. I used to ditch the battery covers on early cars as they held in heat that makes it worse, the cable tends to melt in the first 3-4 inched off the positive terminal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts