Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Focus Fans, my friend has a first gen and dropped the valve whilst cranking over. I'm assuming it's either a timing chain (interference engine) or the valve seat pounded out. As entertaining as it might be, I suppose the engine would fire with one valve dropped with the timing intact, so I am presume his it was his timing belt.

In any case, further investigation is needed (haven't seen the car yet).

Could any of you kind folks point me in the direction of helpful threads and resources, comments and wisdom from veteran focus fanatics regarding a vanilla engine swap to the same OEM.

One issue I note is the speed sensor if the tranny of the source car is different (auto v man).

Also, whats the likely hood this will happen again? Was this just a case of negligent maintenance in not changing the timing chain? What's the recommendation and outlook on these engines? The rest of the car is very sound, so it's a big sunken cost already, meaning motivation is pretty high to repair reasonably.

Cheers!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
is it the single or dual overhead cam. the only interference motor is the SVT

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
most likely a spi with a dropped valve seat. if that is the case and you do decide to go with another spi before you install the motor get the upgraded valve seats from ford and take the head to a machine shop to have them replaced. supposed to eliminate the problem, but i have not done mine yet if it happens it happens ill build it bigger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts