Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I'm new to posting on Focus Fanatics, but I get a lot of good info off of here for some things... but when I did a search for engine codes I got BUBKISS for hits. Then when I started manually searching i noticed 99% of the threads on here are for performance mods... is this the right/wrong forum for just maintaining my focus? Is there a better forum for that kind of stuff?

OK... now on to the real issue besides if I'm lost...

I was working on the car, and decided to change all 3 engine mount... no problem. I did the top 2 in about an hour, and then went to do the bottom one and thought I should put the jack under the mount to see if I could get it to come out... BAD IDEA (!!!)... I heard a loud pop like a wire pulling loose froma connector. I immediately dropped the jack and looked everywhere... couldn't find anything broken or loose. Went ahead and swapped the tranny mount (easy as pie... this car is so easy to work on). and put the car down on all 4 wheels... started it up and it ran smooth as glass (it used to shake like a hound dog passing a peach pit)... well my wife reports to me the next day that her car has a check engine light. I went out and it throws the following codes... P0401... fails the following tests... TID $56 is a little low (32718act/33536min) TID $61 is a little high (29428act/26214max) and TID $50 is off BIG TIME ... it's super high... (37505act/2000max).

Does anyone know what that code represents? I have been all over the back of the engine where the "pop" sound came from and I can't find anything broken, loose, hanging... nothing visible to the nekid eye... or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to heck for vacuum leaks with the "carb cleaner" check. i don't expect to see anything, but you never know. I'm thinking I busted a wire or broke loose a connector but I wont' know until I find it and I'm afraid that means tearing the top of the engine apart... which just seems stupid since the car RUNS FINE (!!!). It runs better now than it has in 3-4 years (of course I also did a full flush of the transmission... so that's probably why it's running "smoother" when we drive it).

-Johnny

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I have no personal experience with that code.

What type of engine in you car?

I did a google search for "2003 ford focus p0401" and got tons of hits. Here was the first of many hits->

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275336

That pop sound gives you lots of clues and might help you connect the dots between the code and; vac lines, electrical connectors related to the DPFE and EGR systems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... I agree that the POP was the first thing that got me looking for broken wires, loose connectors, etc... but I can't find a single thing broken, loose or otherwise... This kind of thing is usually staring you in the face when you break something. I'm starting the think the POP I heard (I keep using caps to emphasize it was LOUD) was one of those goofy plastic clips Ford uses for routing wires and hoses. If I don't find something tomorrow afternoon I'll start doing continuity checks on the harness. If that doesn't provide me with what I need then I'll just have to start taking things apart until I find it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

You're in the right place, this section is for repair/maint. questions.

We've got a list of DTC's here in the How To Stickie:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174739

I linked the general How To list you'll find it in to give an idea of some of the info. avail..

Hopefully the full code description will help, that's a good place to start. There's another Stickie on understanding the CEL, that leads to a Ford site that gives a FULL description of how the check systems work.

Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The code that really throws me for a loop is the TID $50 which indicates "total engine misfire"... that was the one that was reading "really high"... but when I do the math (it says in the ford manual to multiply by .000015 to get %) it comes out to around 1/2% misfire in the total engine. The other two codes indicate a flow restriction in the EGR system.

I thought it was odd that it didn't occur until after I changed the transmission fluid and engine mounts... anyway...

I reset the computer with my scantool and drove the car to work this morning (about 15 miles at "highway speeds"... which in Houston is between 70-80) and got no lights. Oddly enoguh... Even with the CEL on it doesn't run poorly or idle rough. It runs just like it is supposed to.

This is really baffling. I'm thinking I have a "pushed pin" (or in this case a pulled pin) in a connector or a bad ground somewhere causing this problem. I am going to eliminate the possibility of a clogged EGR pipe first... and then I'll check the valve. Then I'll look at the pins/connectors... and then I'll change out the DPFE if none of that proves fruitful.

SAILOR: Thanks for the links ... the pin out chart in particular looks like it'll be pretty helpful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the culprit... cracked vacuum supply line. It was one of those skinny hard plastic ones that ford likes to use. Replaced it with $2 of 40 psi 1/4" line and it's good to go.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts