Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here. i bought an 06 focus about a month ago and the thing was MESSED up. I've done a lot of work on it but there are a few things i can't seem to figure out.

i have a P0144 engine code and i can't seem to figure out how to fix that, does anyone know?

also, my rpm's fluctuate quite a bit usually just over the 1000x point and i can't figure out what that is either, would that have anything to do with the oil that was in my spark plugs? i had to install a new head cover gasket and theres some oil left in there that i have to burn.

last big thing is i can't get my drum breaks off, nothing has worked... at all

any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Oil in the plug holes will never burn off, you're confusing me with how you phrased that comment.

P0144 is "high voltage, bank one sensor three", so the sensor furthest from the engine on yours is the one to look at. (DTC codes in the How To stickie at the top of the page)

Rpm fluctuation can have many causes, from vacuum leaks to IAC troubles. Start by checking for all the hoses & connections being OK without leakage. Does it idle high cold & slow down when warmed up? That would indicate the IAC is at least working fairly well.

We've got a separate brakes & suspension section, you can find more info. there on drum brakes. Can't tell from the description what you've tried or where you are in the process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thank you

i pulled off my IAC and put a new one on a few days ago but they still fluctuate when I'm at an idle, but it seems to stop when i come to a stop while driving, my vac line seems fine as well. the guy that I bought the car off of hit something and broke the air filter housing, and continued to drive with a big hole in it, so the car was just sucking air in from outside, could it have sucked up dirt and that be the cause of the fluctuation? something is grimy and isn't doing its job?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Get a can of MAF cleaner to clean that off then, I've seen one report here of a single fly getting on the MAF & causing major intermittent troubles with operation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright i will go pick up a can tomorrow and ill let you know if it does the trick
thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird question but i need to know the distance between the studs on the rear drum and cant get to my car atm, its a 4 bolt. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
108mm bolt circle, that's 4 1/4" equivalent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sweet thanks, i was at work and i had a few minutes to make a drum brake puller, worked perfectly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts