Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm new to automobiles and whatnot and my 2000 Ford Focus Kona is puttering in idle some times.
We've had problems with the fuel filter before (when my dad drove it) so I'm planning on changing that soon, as well as the muffler (I smell exhaust some times and it vibrates allot back there)
But I was wondering. What else can I do to keep my engine in prime condition? I have regular Oil changes, and I only use Shell Regular (I hope that helps...) Any other advice? (Also, my budget is about $300 a month, but I'm also willing to bump up to a higher grade of gas if it helps, as I don't drive to far as ti is (I average about 70 miles a week)

·
Registered
76 Posts
check your car for vac leaks you'll hear a hissing (more like the suction thing at the dentist) like sound while your cars idling...that could be ur idle issue

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
the higher grade gas wont do anything unless you get it tuned. Could be a number of things, fuel filter, o2 sensor, spark plugs/wires. Theres more but those are the usual culprits.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It couldn't hurt to add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the gas once a year. Techron is good stuff, worth the extra couple of bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts