Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10,000 miles on a PZEV ZX5 with problems that I don't quite understand.

Issues:
1. I like the power at 4500rpm and above but the transition from weak econo-box below 4500 to the wanna-be monster above 4500 is horrible. It's like fuel completely stops going to the engine for a half a second and then the thing leaps forward like hell. Makes judginf what the car is going to due a little difficult. Is there a way to smoth it out? Are they all like this? Is there a way to keep it in the "wanna-be monster mode"?

2. From the first day I had the vehicle, it bucks and stutters at a cruising RPM. Goes like this: If I am accelerating or decelerating it's smooth. If I am just cruising at a maintained speed these subtle bucks and flutters start happening. I took it to the Ford dealer (long story there) and they came up with nothing. They replaced the ECU to make me feel better and it made the problem just a little worse. Has anyone else experienced this? It makes me hate an otherwise great car.

If anyone else had the issue and got it fixed, please let me know what you did and how you talked the dealer into realizing your car actually had a problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Make them ride along with you, sadly with 10k on it you won't have much to stand on if they can't fix it and you want to look into the Lemon Law, but it's an option.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My PZEV has 6K on it now and only noticed your #2 situation. At steady speeds on the highway, I occasionally feel the subtle stuttering. It is very minimal and if I don't think about it, I don't notice.
The large buck during acceleration has never happened though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have an auto or manual trans?

I have felt hesitation when I'm in fourth gear around 2100 rpm with very light throttle. If you speed up or slow down it goes away. I would call it a faint bucking in my car. It surges a little and dies a little.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
No issues here. Do you have a MTX or ATX?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey
This has been my experience:
I have a MTX and sometimes bettwen cruising speeds of 55 to 70, i feel a little variation on the speed.It does not quite feel like a studder,its more like a slight accelaration change in the crusing speed. My car does not have cruise control, so I dont have the ability to see if its a throttle cable response, or an issue with anithing else.I am not a mechanic,but I figure to give it a shot if you have cruise control and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have had my manual trans zx3 for two months, it has about 3,000 miles on it, and yes, on occasion i feel the small lurch or studder when cruising at light engine load. it hasn't occured when accelerating or under moderate to heavy engine load, only at light engine load, like almost no throttle, and cruising at about 35 mph. i don't have cruise control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a MTX. I don't have cruise control. It doesn't matter it the engine is cold or warm and I would not call it a light studder at all. I really wonder how wide spread the problem is.

The passengers can feel it and sometimes they can't. Once I let them drive it, they can feel it pretty quickly.

Sounds like you have the same issue Jeremy.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I too have this problem. I have an MTX and it likes to stutter every now and then. If im accelerating it does it just fine. Very smooth, same with decelerating. But once at a steady speed and trying to maintain it, it gets kinda weird.

·
Registered
344 Posts
so then, is this an issue that needs to be fixed by ford, or is it "a quirky design feature" ...? i can live with it if it is only a quirk, but if it leads to other problems or gets more noticeable i will be more concerned. what do we call this problem? it needs a name other than "studder". i would like a diagnosis on what to label the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you Jeremy, if it's a design quirk I can deal with it. If it leads to future problems, that's a different story.

You're also right about the name. "Studder" doesn't really do it justice. Maybe "Power Dips"?

My best guess is a fuel issue, maybe not enough fuel? When I took it in the first time they replaced the Power Control Module. It had no effect on the problem. It leads me to believe that the issue may be more mechanical than electrical. I would assume that the ECM would catch the electrical variations that would cause that much of a dip. Thoughts?

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
my head hurts... I feel vibrations in the steering wheel and gas petals... but I'm thinking it's nothing but natural...

·
Registered
135 Posts
my 03 mtx does this too...except its right about 2000rpm. i think it might have something to do with the computer adjusting the engine to run as clean as possible.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think you guys might be feeling some effects of the EGR system

·
Registered
135 Posts
try this it helped a little for me...disconnect the batery for a half an hour. works a little. i even tried unhooking the egr vacuum line and plugging it with a small screw/bolt...worked even better

p.s. dont forget to reconnect it before getting a smog check

hey eggyolk...know of any g2g in the area, im trying to throw one together in a month or so

i almost forgot...what mods have you drivers done to your cars??? a more free flowing exhaust in many cases will make the car run lean...someone needs to figure out what is going on[?|]

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm on my 2nd focus. My first was a 2000 zetec and my new one is a 2003 pzev. They both did this exact same thing. I'm pretty sure its nothing to worry about. I also felt it got a little worse with each mod.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have anATX and this problem happened to me, try hooking up a fuel pressure guage to the vehicle, my fuel pressure was dropping to 7 psi and then jumping back up to 45 psi.... I had the fuel pump recall "silent recall" done to my car and haven't experienced the problem since..... Hope this helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
had same problem

I have seen on here before people talking about a fuel pump recall on the foci across the board. I went and got a PCM flash done to my ECU. It's cut down greatly on surging or"bucking" across the power band. I was also having fuel economy issues. Here's the link I printed out and brought to the dealer. They did it same day....good luck

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1116

·
Registered
56 Posts
dudeman

being that this is mostly a fuel issue, the more flow you open up within the foci's engine, the more your going to "feel" the problem [;)]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to this site and my hat is off to all of you for your willingness to share your Focus knowledge and information. I too have experienced the slight "shudder" or "stumble" with my 2004 ZTS. I now have 3000 miles on it and about to perform the first oil change (after I trade my first born to Ford for a filter). I haven't thought to much about this little quirk in performance since it is superior in every other aspect. This little mini mite launches like a rocket and amazes me every time I get behind the wheel. I'm probabably one of the more senior members here and grew up on late 60's and early 70's muscle cars in an era when air/fuel mixture adjustments to the carburetor were accomplished with a tuned ear and a hand over each exhaust. Needless to say, you guys carry a wealth of technical information that is worth its weight in gold to us "antiques". I'll let this little glitch in the Focus go for now and will stay tuned for updates. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts