Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 5 speed manual Ztec motor
Been briefly cutting out with a jerk (tires chirped one time) seems to do it more at higher RPM's 3000+, and when it does it the light I've never seen briefly comes on,
the one that looks like a sun with a exclamation point, owners manual says
"Multi-function: Automatic transaxle/cooling system (On Zetec or automatic transaxle vehicles only)"
Does not give reasons it might happen, just says "service vehicle"

Any clues on what I should look at or do?

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,519 Posts
Yes, scan the car for trouble codes for free at an auto parts store. Then when you have the code you can narrow down the problem.
How many miles are on this car?
Check your trans fluid level and condition. If it's low then you have a leak. If it's dirty then you need a fluid change. Maybe a clutch issue? Since it's a manual then that light shouldn't be coming on at all. That's strange.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,533 Posts
Remove and check for damage to the crankshaft position sensor and the wiring harness to the sensor. It runs over the transaxle. The cover for the wiring deteriorates and can allow the wires to ground out on the transaxle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! After reading every thread I could find that mentioned that warning light, most seem to be either a bad battery, bad alternator or ground issues. My battery is new, alt putting out 14.5v so I cleaned all grounds and added a extra ground strap, issues only got worse..turned out to be my positive wires were corroded where they went into the terminal, cleaned them and I think everything is good now, took a 3 mile test drive with no issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts