Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was opening up the hood of my FF the other day for the first time since purchase (I know, don't laugh) and I noticed two things:

1. There is some sort of matte/foam/material on the top of the inside hood (when opened up) that I assume is used as sound dampening material.
2. There is no engine cover.

Based on what I've been reading, I can't tell if adding on the engine block cover will further dampen sound or not. Some have said that it will, whereas others have said that it amplifies sound. I don't know which to believe.

For those that have (or have not) added an engine cover, why or why haven't you?

·
Registered
368 Posts
The cover has sound deadening material on the underside, so I would think it quiets things down a bit. I'm seriously thinking about adding one to my Focus, not so much for reduced sound but for the looks.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
It dampens the sound for sure. and if anything it looks 100X better than without.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Duratec TiVCT performance section

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm a fan of being able to see everything under the hood easily, so an engine cover wouldn't be worth it for me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
They pop right off with no tools.
Yeah I know, but I would not rather have something to have to pop off everytime I look under the hood or if I'm looking at something else in the engine bay I can instantly see if anything is going on with that part of the engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I know, but I would not rather have something to have to pop off everytime I look under the hood or if I'm looking at something else in the engine bay I can instantly see if anything is going on with that part of the engine.
If you are running any kind of CAI the engine cover cuts down a lot of the sound.
Works for me !

·
Registered
505 Posts
it does make the engine bay look a lot better IMO, heres mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yea! And these are easily paintable so you can customize it for yourself

·
Registered
1,829 Posts

I live in south Florida and noticed these things get HOT! I also wanted to hear the motor more so I removed the sound deadening material and added high heat reflective tape (it worked well on my 1000rr when I noticed the inside fairing bubbling by the exhaust). I'm going to put it back on during the winter months and eventually leave it on year round once I install a 180 thermostat. It gets heat soaked if you leave it on for a track day too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts